Shop Cabinets .. question on contruction

bushwacked

5 hours ago, Evans_Woodcrafts said:

I built something similar to Jay Bate's and have it against a side wall. If I'm not mistaken over the 8' length I had about an inch elevation drop. I used Jays idea of the threaded insert and carriage bolts and it worked out great.

How do you find it reaching over that to clean the filters on your mini split? When I build my station by default I would have the same situation and wonder if I should reposition things away from the mini split, which would be a bit inconvenient since it's in the middle of the wall but I could likely manage it.

6 hours ago, Evans_Woodcrafts said:

Hey Drew,

I built something similar to Jay Bate's and have it against a side wall. If I'm not mistaken over the 8' length I had about an inch elevation drop. I used Jays idea of the threaded insert and carriage bolts and it worked out great.

IMG_0229.JPG

great looking area right there! 

How is the dust collection with that shroud around there? Is your DC coming from the bottom or left side in there?

18 hours ago, bglenden said:

How do you find it reaching over that to clean the filters on your mini split? When I build my station by default I would have the same situation and wonder if I should reposition things away from the mini split, which would be a bit inconvenient since it's in the middle of the wall but I could likely manage it.

Its not a problem at all. I can reach the split without getting on my tippy toes actually. I added the mini-split after I completed the miter station so I ended up cutting out two or three of those top cubbies. 

17 hours ago, bushwacked said:

great looking area right there! 

How is the dust collection with that shroud around there? Is your DC coming from the bottom or left side in there?

I have been super pleased with the dust collection! I couldn't ask for better collection honestly, and as we know, that says a lot for a miter saw. The 4" line is coming in from the left then 90°'s to the saw base. I have a short piece of 2.5" flex hose attached to the saw that aims right at the 4" line entry at the saw base. The sawdust pours into the 4" very nicely. 

• Like 1

If you go the way of the plastic leveling legs, a good tip is to attach a ledger on the wall that is level and at the finish height of the toe kick. You can then set the back edge of the cabinet bottom on the ledger and only have to worry about leveling the two legs in the front. You wouldn't need legs at the back. Having to reach under the cabinet to adjust the back legs gets old real quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pdacey08 said:

Having to reach under the cabinet to adjust the back legs gets old real quick.

The levelers that I have used (and linked to on the 1st page) allow for adjustment from the inside of the cabinet box. You stick a screw driver down through the leg and rotate it until level.

3 hours ago, pdacey08 said:

If you go the way of the plastic leveling legs, a good tip is to attach a ledger on the wall that is level and at the finish height of the toe kick. You can then set the back edge of the cabinet bottom on the ledger and only have to worry about leveling the two legs in the front. You wouldn't need legs at the back. Having to reach under the cabinet to adjust the back legs gets old real quick.

Oh yea ! Preaching to the choir !  Only cure I have found is making the helper do it while I look at the level !  Old age and treachery will over come youth and skill every time !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1