Theory of a dead man...No not the band!

A_Vitale

So Guys as I start my Roubo bench I have a few questions about the dead man on the leg vise. How should it properly attach to the paddl?e also what material is everyone using for the pin itself? and lastly does spacing of the holes matter much as long as they are consecutive?

Couldn't not post here since I'm currently listening to "Leg To Stand On" by Theory of a Deadman. Choose a straight grained hard wood for the pin and make it big enough to withstand the clamping forces that will be applied. How big is that? I dunno. Is the part that get riddled with holes called a deadman? I didn't know that, but I know about the veritcal deadman that supports the end of a board. Anyhow, I would make the spacing not too close - no closer than 1/2" for sure. Oh, and mortise in the piece you're referring to as a deadman (one word).

By the way, have you seen THIS SITE? He's got lots of great step-by-step posts and photos about making his bench.

PS: I predict "Got it Made" will play when you complete the bench.

I think what you are referring to as the "paddle" is known as the chop. I attached my parallel guide (or deadman if you prefer) via a wedged through tenon into the chop. I cut 2 rows of holes in the guide and staggered them so that I had and adjustment point every half inch. I would have to look at it again to determine for sure, but I think each hold was 1" on center. The spacing is not hugely important, but you don't want giant gaps or you won't be able to hone in on the fit of your jaws to the workpiece. However, I rarely change the pin position as most of my work is in the 7/8 to 3/4 range. For the pin itself I'm using an old Crown tools burnisher. Although I used a white oak dowel for a long time until I switched up to something fancier.