Lee Valley back order

Chris Whitmarsh

I tried looking for a forum post this may fall under, but I didn't find anything that made sense (at least to me); if I missed something, I apologize.  

I went to order my first hand plane, naturally selecting the Lee Valley LAJ with PMV-11 blade.  When I went to buy it online it said the item was out of stock but expected December 29, which isn't too bad so I pushed forward.  When I went to check out it said the item was part of a set (body and blade) and all items would ship together.... in April.  That didn't work well for me.  I called the customer service number and they explained that the blade itself was on back order until April and the body would be in stock at the end of the month.  I didn't complete my order because I was brainstorming options on how I wouldn't have to wait 4 months to get my plane.  Looking through the website, I noticed that the replacement PMV-11 blade for the LAJ was in stock and available immediately.  Long story short, I was able to call today and place a phone order for the replacement blade and the body separately.  The cost was the exact same and I will have my plane at the end of the month.  

I just wanted to share this in the event anyone else might be in a similar situation.  

Merry Christmas

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

They must have found some blades because it shows it as being available  and i could if i wanted purchase it.

Interesting..  I just tried to shop for it again online and I'm still being shown that they're back ordered until December 29th.  Perhaps it's a regional thing??

Man... these guys are something else! I received an email that ALL of my items shipped yesterday. Even though they are still listed as out of stock until December 29th, they magically found one to send me. Of course I'm happy about this, it's just astounding how disorganized they are for such a successful company. 

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

They have always treated me well. But seeing is believing. Given the volume of holiday orders hope for the best and inspect for the right things to be shipped. 

I completely agree Sir.  They treated me very well during every phone call I had with them.  They were clearly devoted to answering my every question and ensuring that I was 100% satisfied.  I will certainly be inspecting what I receive to ensure it is, in fact, what I ordered.