Sideboard design help

Isaac

This is a big project for me, so I've decided to build a SketchUp model.

I like this piece by Seth Janovsky (featured in FWW)

Article Image

At the middle level, he has a double plank, one serves as the top of the lower half, and the other serves as the bottom of the upper half. The benefit is the cabinet can be separated into two halves during transportation. I've modelled it in SketchUp, matching or guessing dimensions as necessary:

5a442cd40d7b0_JanofskyCabinet-Exploded.thumb.jpg.9707757b8f72f1b0d4c2841c9c09190d.jpg

I don't see myself taking this apart much, and It will be large, but not enormous, so I'm not sure this dividing feature is so critical (overall dimensions are roughly 16"x40"x38" tall).

I've taken out the upper slab of the double shelf in the model below. In this case it would be a solid piece that doesn't separate. Dropping the double shelf would also save me having to produce another roughly 40"x16" slab.

5a442cd4a15e4_JanofskyCabinet-Exploded-Modified.thumb.jpg.79a1b89af22076e14526d4cec8ba705d.jpg

What do you think, can I dump that double shelf, or would doing so compromise the design? 

10 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I personally see it being better with out the 2nd shelf. I doubt it's 2 whole slabs my guess is that one of them is just a trim piece to give the illusion of 2. Seems silly and more problematic to have to make 2 slabs perfectly mate and not show gaps.

They are actually both solid. He built it like 2 cabinets on a base, 3 separate pieces, for ease of construction. 

It's a real nice piece, Isaac, I look forward to seeing this come together. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

They are actually both solid. He built it like 2 cabinets on a base, 3 separate pieces, for ease of construction. 

huh seems like a waste of good wood. Well in any case i still like it better looking like 1 whole piece.

Yup, according to the article, 3 pieces. I might still make the base separate. I'll ponder on it a bit more. I'm planning to make this out of Cherry, however my wife went with me to the lumber yard, so I came away with a bunch 5/4 Walnut and vague idea of a totally different project she now wants me to build. I don't mind though, I did get my Cherry for this one as well, just might sit for awhile. 

24 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

What do you think about forgoing the second slab in the middle shane?

3 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yup, according to the article, 3 pieces. I might still make the base separate. I'll ponder on it a bit more. I'm planning to make this out of Cherry, however my wife went with me to the lumber yard, so I came away with a bunch 5/4 Walnut and vague idea of a totally different project she now wants me to build. I don't mind though, I did get my Cherry for this one as well, just might sit for awhile. 

What do you think about forgoing the second slab in the middle shane?

That's a good question, I've been thinking about it since you posted. If I didn't build it modular like he did I might make the legs continuous. Id have to see it drawn up. On the side you  could do middle rail to break up the lower and upper panel or you could do a full height panel. But then it isn't consistent with the front doors but I'm not sure that would be a problem aesthetically. _

I'm not a huge fan of seeing the ends of the panels on the side of the piece. I think I'd prefer full height panels on the left and right side. There is something odd about his design (in my eyes) and I think that's it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

The top of the lower cabinet only needs 3 internal spreaders/ crosspieces. These would keep the lower case square and provide a place to screw them together when in place. 

That is true, it already has one piece that forms the top guide rail that the front doors ride in. I could make a similar piece at the rear. 

He didn't actually screw them together, just used some indexing pins. It seems heavy and squat enough that that approach isn't unreasonable, to me. 

Isaac, I built a guild build “ Barristers Bookcase” per Marc’s video. In this, there are three, actually 4 including the base, pieces and all are separable and is configured very similar to your project but without the shelf/shelves. But one could be incorporated into the build if you so desire. Go to Thewoodwhisperer.com and see if you can find a pic of it. The pieces do interlock and I bet Marc wouldn’t mind if I shared the process with you. Or, since yours and his are so similar, and if you’ve never built one of his projects, it might help if you bought that project! He’s a great teacher. Either way, I don’t mind sharing the technique.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Isaac, I built a guild build “ Barristers Bookcase” per Marc’s video. In this, there are three, actually 4 including the base, pieces and all are separable and is configured very similar to your project but without the shelf/shelves. But one could be incorporated into the build if you so desire. Go to Thewoodwhisperer.com and see if you can find a pic of it. The pieces do interlock and I bet Marc wouldn’t mind if I shared the process with you. Or, since yours and his are so similar, and if you’ve never built one of his projects, it might help if you bought that project! He’s a great teacher. Either way, I don’t mind sharing the technique.

Thanks for the offer coop, I wouldn't want to circumvent Marc's system here. I've purchased the Humidor, Side Table and Morris Chair projects, but haven't actually gotten around to build any of them yet! No doubt Marc is an awesome teacher. His book was really helpful to me as well. 

I'll ponder how I want to design and build this one more before take any saws to wood. Everyone has been really helpful already. 

11 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

I would definitely pm him and ask permission first. Good luck on you build! Looking forward to it. 

Ahh my bad, I wrote that poorly, didn't mean to make it sound like you were suggesting otherwise. 

I'll probably play around some more in sketch up and come back with some revised ideas. 

• Like 1