nice clamp-on, cheap LED light

Tom King

I took a gamble on one of these, and it's much better than I expected.  The clamp is very strong, the light is a good quality in the field of view, and the flexible neck stays where you put it with little backlash after bending it.   I'll probably get several more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Table-Goose-neck-LED-Lamp-Clamp-Flexible-Clip-Desk-Bright-Adjustable-Work-Light/272994189110

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I have several of these that I can move around. 

I use a $7 apiece Feit 90 watt eq LED floodlight bulb from Costco in a $7 clamp light with a 5.5" reflector from Lowes. Of course I buy 4 of each at a time.  Gotta pay tax but no wait & no shipping. 

Same bulb in a "Tertial  Lamp " from ( heavens forbid-IKEA) works well too !

I'm sure Tom's light is nice and has a place in the shop. Just an alternative that I've been using for quite a few years. Well to be honest 8 years ago the bulbs were around $ 35 apiece and weighed a whole lot more.  Had to find stronger springs for the IKEA lamps just to make it work .......

If that clamp on light looks like the one that was linked to earlier in the thread, only smaller, that's the same light I clamp onto the hawk when I'm finishing sheet rock.  I put it right against the wall, and it shows every little imperfection.

The spring in the ebay light that I started this thread about, is a lot stronger that those type of clamps, and the jaws are steel.  It's actually even a little difficult to operate for non-working hands.  The diameter of the light part is probably a little less than 3", but I never measured it.

I think it provides as good light as some of the much higher dollar "lathe" lights.   I have no idea how long it lasts, but if it lasts for years, it will be an extra good deal.

I have various other clamp on lights around, and the trouble with most of them is a weak spring, and clamp, and a shade for a screw in bulb sometimes gets in the way.  I'm replacing the ones on either side of my sliding miter saw, and Radial Arm Saw with this one.   I hope they last okay.  i'd like to find a magnetic base that can be swapped out because I dont' think this particular one comes with a magnetic base.   They do have it with a weighted base, and I've ordered one of those, so will add what I find about that one when it comes.

Hopefully, I'll never have any sheetrock to finish again.  I don't think I have anything but LED movable lights any more.  A few years ago, Costco had Snap-On utility lights on sale for $25 each.  I replaced all the heads on my utility lights then.   It was a major upgrade in light quality, and no more short life halogens to worry with.  I think those lights are close to 50 dollars now, but if I had to buy some more, those would be the ones I'd get.

These things are seriously bright!   Looks like the price is still going up.     https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-LED-Work-Light-2000-Lumens/332514346842?epid=710132587&hash=item4d6b66475a:g:~7oAAOSwcN1aU~NH

sawlightsmall.thumb.jpg.b0465750d69e19f1ae326c44d2ff5e69.jpgI also have one of these.   It has the best height adjustment of any utility light I've ever used.   My other ones, now with the dual SnapOn heads are a pain to adjust, so don't get adjusted.    This one is great for adjusting, and sometimes one head is better anyway.  It claims 3,000 lumens, but I don't think it's as bright as one of the SnapOn's.  One light is better when you need a raking light, and if you are finishing a flat surface, you can get this one down to just the right height.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Pro-3000-Lumen-LED-Stand-Work-Light/50260965

While using the little clamp on light, that this thread started about, this morning, I noticed a problem with the design.  It has a grid of cooling slots behind where the bulb is.   It's not a problem if it's out of your line of sight, but if you try to look in from behind the lamp, the bright light is in your eyes.   I still like it a lot for some uses, and is much cheaper than a Moffat. 

I know it's a four letter word, but these Ikea lights have worked well for me, and I have actually spent more on dirt.

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20169658/

In addition to this desk top model I have the same thing with a spring clamp.

I glued a magnet to the buttom of the spring clamp and use it with my lathe.  I also bought a "lathe light" from Woodcraft on sale for $20.  The Ikea light is better.  Broader cone of light.  Yellow-white instead of blue.  Longer goose neck.  The light head is small, about an inch, and not in the way.  

Clamp is nothing to write home about, just plastic jaws.  Next time around, though, I would glue on rare earth magnets.