Ash and Walnut TV Table - WIP to Finish

Chems

I've lifted this WIP thread from my favourite UK forum to post here. I hope you enjoy the build.

This was the last major item I built a few weeks back now. I really liked it and am looking to build one for myself sometime soon. Its long so here it is:

TVTable.jpg

The american ash I picked up was lovely and straight from the start so I just thicknessed it and only needed to cut two boards down to get them through.

?98 for the lot.

DSC00865.jpg

DSC00864.jpg

DSC00879.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

Started off with making the end panels.

DSC00889.jpg

Changed the cutter in the domino, its so easy it sort of screws onto a screw not like a router at all.

DSC00887.jpg

With the larger cutter in it actually seems to be more smooth almost. I guess like using an 8mm shank over a 1/4 inch.

DSC00888.jpg

The glued up 4 parts to do make the panels for the frames, wished I had a bandsaw at this point, could have book matched them as the stock was very thick.

DSC00890.jpg

I want it finished by next Wednesday, not including the weekend as I probably won't touch it over then. I do so wish I had a drum sander thou :) I left it this evening having done all the rebates and the 2 end panels in clamps, the nice thing about the panels been made from 2 pieces is it shouldn't need any cleaning up I'm hoping.

Target for tomorrow, completed frame, bottom shelf and uprights, ready then for top, door and drawer next week.

Many hours of sanding scraping and planing:

And then some more... . ... .

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

This one had the start of rippling so I choose it for the shelf, very nice almost like a deep mirror sort of thing, don't know if the photo picks it up.

DSC00906.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

Got the top ready to be jointed and go on, and a door. Don't have enough material for the drawer or T+G back so will have to get some more!

Thanks Matty, you are my inspiration :)

Doesn't look like I've done a lot. But I have.

First off MASSIVE thanks to Riley who gifted me a pair of 270mm blum blue motion runners - the brilliance of this forum is amazing!

I also got gift the sheet of glass by my local supplier as they let me down on my last order.

I used the shelf domino jig I saw, I didn't do it before I assembled as I was worried it wouldn't all line up. Nearly did me in as I could barely fit the domino into the gap, 1mm less and it wouldn't have gone in.

I got all the T+G ran through and ripped to size and also got the router set up so ready to just run through.

Also got the shelf made. I picked up the extra materials, but still might not have enough!

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

I tried to pick up some less white ash for the back panels, I wanted the contrast. The glass is rebated in, I wouldn't have done this if I hadn't changed my mind on a solid panel last night and the groove was done. The glass will be beaded in by the walnut the same as the wood panel was going to be.

Thanks for reading. Hoping to have the back on and made a start/finish on the drawer and will be close to finishing for tuesday the finish day.

Back on it today. I'm very nearly done, just the skirt to do with some fun arched routing to do. Hopefully the walnut veneer will arrive tomorrow.

I totally cheated and had the top and a few other bits put through the wide belt sander at good timber, I gotta get one of those.

DSC00923.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

Thanks,

Made lots of progress today, had my first go at veneering. Got to tweak the drawer fit tomorrow and fit the top, do the skirts and get to finishing it.

DSC00928.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

Very nice. And that's one heck of a write-up! OK so here are a few initial thoughts. Overall, the design is pretty cool. Very clean-looking and I like the contrast of the walnut. But I actually want to see more of it. The piece looks just a tad out of balance to me and I think its because I don't get see the walnut repeated somewhere on the left side. I think the ideal place for this would be in your drawer front. Looking at your SketchUp drawing, it seems that you originally thought this as well. I see a frame and panel drawer front with walnut trim in the sketch. I am curious to know why you decided against it. I think the piece really could have benefited from it.

That being said, a fantastic piece and I really appreciate you being the first one to throw a piece up in the Critique Room. Kudos my friend!

Thanks to all! I can't take credit for the domino shelf pin, I saw it on youtube. :)

WW, I did intend to do the drawer like you said, but that nice big piece of ask with the interesting grain presented itself and I decided to use it as a solid piece. Maybe on the next one I'll stick to the plan!

I wonder for that "balance" idea if you replaced the drawer pull with a walnut pull? that would add a bit of color to the left side - Love the bottom aprons - took a while to see that it was not a shadow!

What finish have you used?

Thanks for posting this project!

I did consider making a walnut drawer pull too. That was the hardest decision, what to do for handles. I went for Blum Tip on for the door and a chrome handle on the drawer to completement the hinges.

The finish is Arcylic lacquer sprayed on and smoothed to 400grit by hand with a light layer of clear bison wax. The ash really lent itself well to that type of lacquer and being non-chemical it shouldn't yellow the wood.

Thanks for all your kind words!

If my foggy memory serves, I liked it the first time I saw it, too :)

Nice job and I like how the walnut worked with the Ash. The curve on the bottom revealing the walnut is nice.

For the left side, you could enlarge the reveal by trimming the drawer front with a hand plane/shooting board then inset strips of walnut in the opening. It would have a similar look to the frame n panel having a walnut profile. You could actually retrofit it.

For the left side, you could enlarge the reveal by trimming the drawer front with a hand plane/shooting board then inset strips of walnut in the opening. It would have a similar look to the frame n panel having a walnut profile. You could actually retrofit it.

That's a great idea, I'd have done that if I'd thought of it. Its actually in a new home with its client so no chance of a retrofit. The client was in love with it as it was so that's the main thing!

Very nice project Chems! I really like it.

First the bad news...

The round holes. The nice straight lines of the piece and the rounds holes don't jive. That really isn't a problem because the piece will be up against a wall, so most will not see the back. From the front, the holes will not be seen because the cabinet will be filled with electronics. So this is really a non-issue but you can't have a critque if EVERTHING is perfect, right?

The drawer pull. It definately does NOT look bad... I just don't think that it is the best looking. What is? I don't have an answer. I like what someone else suggested about a walnut pull. The walnut and the ash look so good together that a splash of walnut for a pull might look really nice.

Now the good news!

WOW! I really like the thick stock that you used. It gives the piece some real heft in appearance, and I really do like that. It sets it apart instantly as quality and not some flimsy store bought piece.

Of course the contrasting wood was a really nice decision and you did NOT over do the walnut highlights. Some pieces can get too busy with a bunch of contrasting colors and grains. You chose a very nice balance, of the two, in my opinion. It works very well to compliment each other.

The straight lines of the cabinet will never go out of style. This will be a piece that can be admired by all, in the decade to come, and it will not look dated, like some furniture can, even if quality built. It is simply elegant!

Having used quality wood and construction techniques will ensure that your piece will see many years of use and admiration for years and years to come. You have done a great job and should be very proud of your work!

Thank you for sharing it with us!