Cup-o-Slab

MisterDrow

So a friend of mine runs a timber framing business and has his own bandsaw mill. He also gets trees from around the area that get cut down and mills slabs and lumber from them to sell on a regular basis. The stuff I get from him usually isn't all the way dry so I have to let it sit for a few months or more before I can use them but his prices are amazing so I don't mind.

Well, I managed to get this slab of maple from him that he had sitting on a rack in his shop for almost 2 years for $35. It's 60"x20"x2".

IMG_0174.thumb.JPG.57b46f5d7af69d4834cf4eee9e87df18.JPG

At $2.09/bdft, that's less than half of what I can get maple at the lumber yard so I happily scooped it up. 

This will be the first time I'll be milling pieces for a project from a slab (making a side table for my wife). Anything I should watch out for along the way or any tips on breaking this thing down?

MC was at 8.2% when I checked it this past weekend so it's plenty dry. The only sadness is that I don't have a bandsaw big enough to resaw any of this so much of that will be done on the table saw (resulting in more wood loss due to the kerf).

• Like 1

I'd be less concerned with how it looks now, but how it'll look when you need to use it.   Do you know anyone with a bandsaw? Is there a cabinet shop that could resaw it for you. You really want to get as much out of that board as you can get.  The 2" thickness would be good for the legs of your side table, the rest is going to need something like 3/4" or it'll be 5/8" or less if you resaw it on the table saw.

• Like 1

My only bandsaw is a small benchtop model and it's no good for resawing anything wider than 2"... and even then, it wanders like mad. I've currently got an alert active on my craigslist app that tells me when bandsaws or jointers get posted for sale. So far, every time something comes up in my price range, I have some other expense that my money needs to go to instead. Priorities and all :/

I've got some commission work going right now and will also be selling some things on consignment at a friend's shop in town here soon. My plan is to be able to supplement the household income a bit and also be able to have a steady tool fund that I can use to upgrade my shop piece by piece.

I know @Chris208 who lives around the corner from me has a bigger band saw but I also know he's getting ready to move and has enough on his plate (and I still owe him a beer or three for some other help he's given me :P). The friend I bought this slab from doesn't have a bandsaw (unless you count his big bandsaw mill that he cut this on). There's a hardwood dealer a couple miles from me that will resaw things you buy there but they won't do it for wood you just bring in.

I'm sure if I call around somewhere I can find someone willing to do it for me. Would be nice to get two full 3/4" pieces out of the thickness, for certain.

51 minutes ago, Chris208 said:

We can do it on my bandsaw.  I'll be over there this weekend packing the shop.

I can only resaw 6 inches, but that slab looks like pretty straight grain, so you could rip it into 6 inch strips, resaw those, and glue them back together for the top.  If we're careful where we cut, the glue lines will be invisible.

Chris

That would be cool! I'll shoot you a text Saturday morning. I didn't want to ask because I figured you were plenty busy as it was so this is very kind of you. I'll get it marked out for the rough blanks in the mean time.

See... I told you there answers on here somewhere. Chalk out what you need, get your legs cut and you and Chris can turn that leftover slab into functioning wood for your project.   Oh, and don't forget a six pack for after the cuts.   3 each should be more than enough.  And you can help in the packing.

• Like 1