Headphone Stand.

Coyote Jim

11 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Congrats on your first mortise ! Project turned out nicely. 

Is that the veritas dual marking gauge ? If so, they have a clamp for like 10$ that clamps the two cutters in place so you can adjust the fence. 

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=67466&cat=1,42936

It is! I almost bought that clamp too. But I was already spending so much money on that gauge that I just could not bring myself to spend any more. Especially when $.001 worth of tape can do the trick.

But...if I am honest with myself, I know I will eventually buy that clamp anyway. Seems that I have more money than sense.

Something you might like to consider that moves the piece to a different level is this. On the top, where the headphone band currently sits, cut a groove that the band will sit within. A good exercise is cutting it so the groove is also curved following the same profile as the current end-grain top. You can do that easily with a saw, chisels and, if you haven't got one, a shoulder plane to clean up. Everybody likes new tools, woodworking gets expensive, but a shoulder plane is a necessity for hand tool work.

The headphones cannot be easily knocked off and you haven't done a straight copy of a commercial design. BTW I like yours much better than the birch plywood commercial one as you have used an interesting wood. Keep up the good work.