Planing perfect dados

derekcohen

I have begun to put together a series of articles based on the new Veritas Combination Plane. This is not intended as a review, but rather as a how to set it up for use. The methods used should be transferable to other similar planes.

In this article I focus on planing the perfect dado. For contrast, I have included the HNT Gordon dado plane as well as the Stanley #46 ...

35a.jpg

The article is too long to post here. Link to my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCombinationPlane-dados.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, derekcohen said:

I have begun to put together a series of articles based on the new Veritas Combination Plane. This is not intended as a review, but rather as a how to set it up for use. The methods used should be transferable to other similar planes.

In this article I focus on planing the perfect dado. For contrast, I have included the HNT Gordon dado plane as well as the Stanley #46 ...

The article is too long to post here. Link to my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCombinationPlane-dados.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Did you mean for the title to be Planing perfect Dados?

Good article, are there going to be additional parts that cover the wide variety of uses of a combination plane?

• Like 1

Fine job, as usual!   

Most of my use of a Combination plane was from a Record 044C, that I bought new in the mid 1970s.   I still use the irons that came with it in a couple of 55's, but the design of that Record was horrible.   I ended up learning to use it without a depth stop because the stop design was about useless.  It used a plastic sleeve that was expanded in a slick tube by the tightening screw, so there was no such thing as an exact limit held by the stop.  The 55's were very easy to use after all the poor time spent trying to work with the Record. 

The Veritas looks like a very well thought out piece.  I wish that it had been available when I bought the Record.