Need Thinner Riving Knife

Hammer5573

I've been using more thin kurf tablesaw blades recently. The problem that I'm having is that the Riving knife on my Grizzly 1023 is thicker than the saw blades, causing some of my rip cuts to stop mid-cut. Does anyone else have this problem ? Does anyone have any solutions?

5 hours ago, Hammer5573 said:

I've been using more thin kurf tablesaw blades recently. The problem that I'm having is that the Riving knife on my Grizzly 1023 is thicker than the saw blades, causing some of my rip cuts to stop mid-cut. Does anyone else have this problem ? Does anyone have any solutions?

Years ago when I bought my G0690 I was replacing an underpowered table saw.  All I had were thin kerf blades, thought I would try to thin the riving knife down.  Didn't work, solved the problem by replacing my thin kerfs with normal 1/8" kerf blades.  You got a 3hp motor why are you using thin kerfs?......

• Like 1

Still less effort to push wood through a thinner blade, especially if you do it all day. I rip a bunch of small parts from 1/2" Baltic for a recurring commercial client. Thin kerf blade also give me one extra strip out of each sheet, which translates into 3 to 7  extra parts per sheet . 10 parts per display shelf x 100 shelf orders means pushing plywood and laminate through the saw all day.  That tiny difference also helps when you are trying to make the most of a limited number of matching boards. 

I've got a pair of precision matched 3" dia blade stiffeners that I use with all of my thin kerf blades. Having said all that I've also got plenty of full kerf blades too. I even use thin kerf blades on my 5 hp sliding crosscut tablesaw sometimes. There is a place for both types in the shop.

Micro Jig makes thin kerf splitters that you insert into a zero clearance throat plate. I use them when ripping on my saw that was made long before riving knives were a thing. I use the steel core version.

https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_splitters.html

You could just buy a replacement riving knife for $11 https://www.grizzly.com/parts/RIVING-KNIFE/P1023RL327 and use a grinder to thin it down, keeping the original around. Or contact these guys techsupport@grizzly.com but I doubt you'd be any luckier considering it's in the manual.

Or...

Buy a thin kerf riving knife from sharkguard for about $40. http://thesharkguard.com/ordergriz1023rlwx.html , seems pretty reasonable to me.