King Bed

Pwk5017

There are drawers at the head board, yes, and as you pondered, they will be a complete PITA to access. I figure my wife will put winter sheets/blankets in there and we will access the drawers twice a year. This will require moving the night stand out of the way, and replacing it afterwards. I think the best bed storage idea I saw was a gas-assist strut to lift the box spring and mattress up. 

Looks great ! Those panels are like framed art .

I've built drawer bases before and moving a bedside table is a small price to pay for the extra storage space for out of season linens.  Did you make drawers that reach to the center of the frame ? Will you even be able to remove a drawer once the whole thing is assembled ?

Looks great! Those panels are gorgeous. Eventually I will be making a bed so we can stop using a metal frame. It looks like you made space to use a box spring, is that correct? Many of the bed builds I have seen recently have opted to maximize the storage space by eliminating the box spring and using more slats or a solid layer for the mattress to sit on.

Check your box springs, if it has a continuous wood/plywood top you can build a plywood platform in your new bed. If your box springs actually have springs multiple slats would be a better replacement, maybe wth a center support for king/queen size. Multiple loose slats fairly closely spaced will flex under the higher load points.

29 minutes ago, AnonymousAccountant said:

Looks great! Those panels are gorgeous. Eventually I will be making a bed so we can stop using a metal frame. It looks like you made space to use a box spring, is that correct? Many of the bed builds I have seen recently have opted to maximize the storage space by eliminating the box spring and using more slats or a solid layer for the mattress to sit on.

Well, there is an idea i never considered. My drawers are 6.75" tall, and that was the best i could do without making the bed too tall. I think my mattress top sits at around 29" right now. I wouldnt mind losing an inch or two, because it feels a tad high, but really im splitting hairs at that point. I opted for the much shorter box spring they offer at 4.5" tall. So far, i am very pleased with the rigidity and stoutness of the frame. It doesnt move a millimeter, and it doesnt make a sound.

Im waiting on special order handle hardware to match the other stuff i made, so my drawers arent currently installed. Im curious to see how they operate with the wood runners. Im really happy with the nightstands and dresser i made, but these drawers are a lot deeper than those. They are 26" by 37". Fingers crossed they dont turn into a POS that binds etc. 

Ive had the one crotch flitch for 3+ years, and ive slowly been delving into that pile for project panels. I think i still have 2-3 boards left that have good feathering similar to what you see. I also purchased the other crotch log as a whole, but it is a sadder story. The guy cut the crotch in half horizontally and kinda ruined what would have been 4' of awesome figure. Instead i have 24" of really good crotch figure with another set of 18-24" of the tail end of the feather. Which is still ok, but it sucks the homeowner did that. I only paid $75-100 for the whole log in sections, and its worked out thus far. Not particularly usable stuff, but ive sawn drawer fronts out of it, the front and sides of the jewelry box, and now the panels for bed. Im running through my stock of crotch lumber this year, and need to find some replacement deals off craigslist. This is one area where i would consider going through the hassle of setting up an alaskan mill. I bet a bunch of tree services ditch 3-5' crotch log sections all the time.