Push Blocks

pkinneb

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Question. Could you just use the tile float as is?

I was wondering the same thing.   But if he is like me you don't want metal around the SawStop or for that matter, on any saw, metal to spinning blade contact isn't going to do your blade any good.

Just a guess.

I missed use at the table saw. I don't think i'd use something like this ever there. On the jointer and router table i usually try and never let the push block contact the blades.

I still personally like 2 push sticks Mettias Wandel style. Helps keep me out of the way of any possible kick back.

@pkinneb I see some CA activator there did you make a mistake? :D:ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I missed use at the table saw.

@pkinneb I see some CA activator there did you make a mistake? :D:ph34r:

At the TS for dado's and if I have a larger board between the fence and the blade. I have a Sawstop so no metal :) Like Chet and wdwerker point out I wouldn't want metal around my saw even if I didn't.

Re using as is...metal as stated above is an issue and also I don't want my fingers wrapped around the handle if something goes wrong they could be pulled into the blade.

Re the CA that is for a chisel handle I'm working on at the lathe which is just out of the picture. I use CA for finish on all my chisel handles becuase it holds up well.

29 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I don't want my fingers wrapped around the handle if something goes wrong they could be pulled into the blade.

Ahh yeah that's a very good point. I don't do a lot of dados, some times i feel like i'm missing something ....

I have been using these floats for a couple years and they are great.  I have five or six of them for the jointer, router table, and at the band saw they are handy to push stock against the fence before the blade during a resaw.  All of mine still have the original handle which works fine but I will eventually get around to replacing with wood for reasons mentioned above.  I still use the Grippers that I've had forever at the SawStop.  The Grippers will always have a spot in my shop for certain tasks, but in my experience the floats grip the stock better.  I have push sticks for narrow rips (both John Heisz and Matthias Wandel versions) but if I have space between the blade and fence I prefer to use the float or Gripper.

• Like 1