Stain Different Color Along Walls

mpc2117

Okay so I recently bought a house in means of remodeling it to be our starter home. The house had carpet in all rooms when we purchased it but when we tore it up we deiscovered we had hardwood floors underneath. They were a golden color before having them sanded down by professionals and re-stained using Minwax Dark Walnut. The floors turned out great except.... there are some spots that’s are lighter. We first noticed it in front of the fireplace. Then we walked into each bedroom and noticed it again. The patch is on each bedroom wall that is perpendicular to the runs of the wood. It’s about 14”-18” off each wall. They have put down two coats of polyurethane down and you can even feel a difference in the top coat. It’s almost like it’s “stickier” in these patches. Everyone is scratching their head on this. Anyone have any thoughts??

Minwax is about the worst stain possible for floors.   If it sits anywhere longer than other places, it will be darker.  Same for any places being rougher than the rest of it.  The location you're talking about sounds like the back edge of an edger.   Maybe they didn't stay on it long enough with a buffer screen to smooth out the edger tracks.

Another possibility is if they stained the floor using a buffer, and applied it to the edges some other way, with the darker places being where the two methods overlapped.

Were the floor pros using what they normally use, or something you wanted them to use?   I have a hard time reconciling flooring pros using Minwax stain.

I just have a hard time believing that the edge sanding did it because shouldnt all the edges of the walls be this way?? And it’s a local company with over 25 years in the business and he said he’s only seen this once but never found a solution due to the customer’s hurry to move in. Luckily he’s not leaving me dry, he has said he could try resanding the whole area and re apply stain but I’m just worried the same thing will happen and I just go in the hole more. Side question: could heat cause this? Not sure if history of home but is it possible there was baseboard heat on the walls that this has happened? I ask this because of the fireplace being one area and only bedrooms being affected. Living room and hallway is perfect! This is why there is so much confusion.

That’s too regular an area. Likely he sanded with one machine in the field and another at the edge. It is also possible there is a chemical reaction with adhesive residue. Sometimes padding is glued down around the edges to stay in place as the carpet is stretched. 

1 hour ago, Bankstick said:

Reminds me of my wife's grandparents' home. Beautiful pine floors from the early 50s. Covered with carpet! My SIL and BIL lived there for several years, never pulled the carpet and refinished the floors. Moved and bought a new house. Can't figure why???????

Our first house built in 1945 was the same way. We left the carpet in because we had little kids at the time. 

Yep, that looks like the difference between drum sanded field and random orbit edges. The drum sander got much tighter to the walls in line with the grain, but stayed well away from damaging those “end wall” areas requiring the smaller machine to do all that other work. Whether finer paper or burnishing due to dust loading, the ends of those boards aren’t prepped at the same level. 

43 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Yep, that looks like the difference between drum sanded field and random orbit edges. The drum sander got much tighter to the walls in line with the grain, but stayed well away from damaging those “end wall” areas requiring the smaller machine to do all that other work. Whether finer paper or burnishing due to dust loading, the ends of those boards aren’t prepped at the same level. 

After doing some research I believe you’re right. I watched a video on a drum sander and seen that they get very close to walls running parallel to wood floors but can vary in distance away from perpendicular walls. Looks like they didn’t do a good job blending the two areas together.