Slowing down belt/spindle sander

Isaac

I have this spindle/belt sander:

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6523-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/dp/B06XGRZ37Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1535746685&sr=1-3&keywords=spindle+sander

It works great, but would like the option to slow it down a bit, and I was thinking of accomplishing this with a plug in type potentiometer, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzion-Variable-Controller-Electronic-Replaceable/dp/B013SO16HA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535746602&sr=8-3&keywords=outlet+variable+speed

However, I've never used one of those. Is it as simple as it looks? Any significant concerns for safety or risk of damage to the tool? 

I think I'm on the right track, but just want to make sure before I go live, since it is a power tool and electrical stuff. 

Thanks!

I agree with Steve, slowing the sander is probably not going to give the result you expect.

Aside from that, a word about that type of controller - yes, it will slow the motor. But it does so at the expense of power. I bought one to try on my single-speed router table motor some time ago, and it works, but sucks all the torqe. With only a small speed reduction, the bit begins to stall with the lightest of loads.

Can you share the reason behind your desire to slow the sander?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 8:25 AM, Isaac said:

want to slow the tool to make it safer to teach my son and for demonstration purposes, so that he can get a feel for the operation without the belt whipping by at full RPMs.

For what it is worth,  have your son work only in the middle of a piece and not near the ends where the drum might grab the piece until you get a feel for his ability to control the piece.  Finer grits grab less.

Have fun.  Now I am thinking that my spindle sander might be a good next tool for my grandson to try.

• Like 1