Minwax Wood Hardener

Leaseman

I like to work with various types of pine when building coffee tables, dressers, and other furniture. I just like the look of it. One of the problems with pine, as you know, is that because of it's soft nature it scratches and dents easily. I've never used Minwax wood hardener but does any one know if it would work well to harden pine to make it "tougher"? The product description suggest it's use on rotted wood, etc not really a finisher of wood. Anyone have any experience with this or have any other ideas to toughen up pine to make it more resistant?

I have used Minwax wood hardener to stabilize knife scales and pistol grips, but that was using a vacuum system.  For that it works really well, but it is extremely expensive and I have moved on to other less costly methods for stabilizing my scales.  But I can't think of one method that is not cost prohibitive for large pieces.  I have a little MInwax hanging out in the shop,  and I just dribbled some on a 2x4 and it didn't seem to change the pine, it is still soft.   If you want to experiment on a piece, I use Abaton's "liquid wood" to stabilize punky wood that I am turning.  It is a 2 part epoxy that absorbs really well, but the last time I bought some it was over $70.00 for the quart containers.  

So i'm pretty sure that wood hardner is used to treat wood that is starting to rot. It kills the dry rot bacteria or mold or w/e. I've used it but it's not for makingg regular pine boards harder.

You'd be far better off finding a good lumber yard and buying a decent hardwood. Or do like I've been doing lately and scour craig's list for hardwoods for cheap. I just scored some Bocote for dirt cheap.

• Like 1

I search lumber or the specific species i want. This one came up under lumber. I generally hit the search every day and idk if it's supposed to but the most recent posts generally are at the top.

Also if you get a lot of stuff you don't want like those osb and plywood dealers that can't take level pictures use the minus symbol and something that would elimate them but keep what you want like -plywood and -siding

• Like 1