DeWalt 735 question

JerseyG1960

Hi all. I haven't posted in along time, as life took me away from woodworking for a bit. I'm attempting to get back into it with both feet though. I just picked up a 735 planer and have a question regarding the accessory folding tables. After mounting the unit to the stand I built, I put a straightedge across the tables, through the machine, and both outward ends were a bit higher than the unit's tray. I can see the vertical screw slots on the table brackets allowing adjustment, which I was about do do, then wondered if the tables are supposed to be aligned that way. This is my fist planer but I have read about tilting the boards up slightly as you feed then and doing the same as they exit the unit to eliminate snipe. Is this slightly-off table alignment intentionally meant to do that automatically? 

17 minutes ago, JerseyG1960 said:

Hi all. I haven't posted in along time, as life took me away from woodworking for a bit. I'm attempting to get back into it with both feet though. I just picked up a 735 planer and have a question regarding the accessory folding tables. After mounting the unit to the stand I built, I put a straightedge across the tables, through the machine, and both outward ends were a bit higher than the unit's tray. I can see the vertical screw slots on the table brackets allowing adjustment, which I was about do do, then wondered if the tables are supposed to be aligned that way. This is my fist planer but I have read about tilting the boards up slightly as you feed then and doing the same as they exit the unit to eliminate snipe. Is this slightly-off table alignment intentionally meant to do that automatically? 

Yes you want the ends to push the board up slightly. This tips the board a bit to help prevent snipe. If it's excessive as in more than like  a 64th you will want to try and address that.

For boards longer than the tables i still try and put a little upward pressure on the board. Not enough to do much but enough so the end doesn't drop once it's free from the end of the unit.

Congrats on the awesome planer btw. I love mine and feel like I'll outgrow it soon but i run a LOT of material through mine and feel like i should have one of the floor standing units.

• Like 2

Good luck with the planer.  I have that same one, and it's served me well.

As for the tables tipping up at the outer edges - Chestnut was spot on.  Leave them tipped up a little.  I use nickels under the straightedge on the table, to show me how far up to tip the tables up. Seems to work well for me in reducing snipe.

I picked mine up used and have learned the following the past couple of months.

1. If you hog off too much it can build up under a blade. That bends the blade and the blade holder. Replace both.

2. Replacement parts are cheaper on Dewalt/ServiceNet than on any of ereplacementpart.com, eBay, or Amazon.

3. Go to a gun shop for real hearing protection. The stuff from woodworking shops is ok, but not quite enough.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:11 AM, Jfitz said:

Good luck with the planer.  I have that same one, and it's served me well.

As for the tables tipping up at the outer edges - Chestnut was spot on.  Leave them tipped up a little.  I use nickels under the straightedge on the table, to show me how far up to tip the tables up. Seems to work well for me in reducing snipe.

This is the technique I used to minimize snipe. It's still there, but it's VERY slight... rarely more than a few thousandths. Almost irrelevant except when doing laminations.