Stanley 7c jointer plane type 7. How rare?

Asupremeclean

Don't mean to ruin dreams but the condition will remove it from a collectors eye. I also don't know how kindly they take to restored planes vs just cleaned up planes. What you have is 2 solid users though. I'd get the smooth bottom one tuned up nice and put it to work. I'd clean up the other one and sell it. I don't personally like the corrugated planes.

Again opinion i think people go too far in restoring planes I'd rather see them cleaned up rust gently removed and keep the patina of the last 100+ years, but that's opinion and everyone will have a different one.

Here is a link to a Stanley Bench Plane site that will help with information on your plane, but it sounds like you've already done some research to determine that it is a type 7.

As for selling it, I've always found that it's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Some want it for the collectible value, no matter what shape and others would rather have it cleaned up. 

31 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Don't mean to ruin dreams but the condition will remove it from a collectors eye. I also don't know how kindly they take to restored planes vs just cleaned up planes. What you have is 2 solid users though. I'd get the smooth bottom one tuned up nice and put it to work. I'd clean up the other one and sell it. I don't personally like the corrugated planes.

Again opinion i think people go too far in restoring planes I'd rather see them cleaned up rust gently removed and keep the patina of the last 100+ years, but that's opinion and everyone will have a different one.

Unfortunately they are both corrugated. 

The rosewood knob and tote are in rough condition. Also there is some deeper rust that will show up as pitting after evaporrust is used. It doens't make them valueless, it just will knock them out of the creme of the crop collector prices. The nice thing about tools like these is as long as they are in working condition aren't cracked or in terrible condition they hold a decent amount of value.

I guess I’ll have to clean mine up a bit to see what if any japaning is still left. I can see some paint splashes under the gunk that will have to be removed. Any tips on how to remove the paint without damaging the japaning?

The totes on those planes from Tom’s post look as though they have never been used. Mine has been abused pretty good. I can only imagine how many pieces of fine woodworking this thing has made. 

119-125 years of use you would think there would be that much wear. 

I have some planes with both types of soles, and I never think about them one way or the other.   I have heard complaints of the corrugations catching on corners, but I don't know why that happens anyway. 

I think the aging on that plane is neglect, rather than use.   The iron has been sharpened away some, but nothing like a whole lot.  I doubt many jointers saw a tremendous amount of work.

Guess I should give my reasoning. 

1) it weighs less. I'm an in shape young (by the standards here) with 3 shoulder surgeries including 1 reconstruction. I can't throw that heavy of a weight around. (Hence I bought a wooden one.) 

2) I keep a chunk of wax near me when planing. When I hit the soul, I leave a few diagonal swipes and it leaves some wax in that as the plane moves, I feel keeps it feeling waxed longer.

Speaking of @Tom King that plane was one one about 13 tools that survived my bench fire.. and it's wooden)