Drum Sander Conveyor Belt Tensioning

Jonathan McCully

I mentioned in my project journal that I had picked up a free delta 18-36 drum sander that just needed a new conveyor belt. Got the belt and put it on today and after a long period of patience, got it tracking correctly. I’ve still got one side of the belt that is not tensioned tight to the table though, and I’m afraid that I will mess the tracking up if I’m trying to pull more tension.  The opposite side of the belt is very tight against the table, so I can’t really put more tension on both sides.  How tight should the belt be?  Just enough to not slip on the rollers or tight to the table so that I can barely lift it up?  Unfortunately the manual doesn’t really give me any good answer on this.  Appreciate the help.

I have the same sander, the conveyor is going to be one of those things with that sander. I adjust the belt before each "project sand" Mine tracks to one side over a period of time. I will readjust things as it becomes too close to the bracket. 

You'll know if the conveyor isn't tight enough it will slip and when you increase the feed rate...basically stays at one speed. 

I just deal with it, not that big of an issue. For what the machine will do for you and your woodworking, its minor. 

Enjoy, need any help let me know.....

PS ....be very careful if you have it on a mobile base....WATCH THE CONVEYOR MOTOR. It sticks out waiting to get bent ....don't ask me how I know this...those motors aren't cheap! I was lucky with a little time, hammer and chisel I got the shaft straight again. 

-Ace-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AceHoleInOne said:

PS ....be very careful if you have it on a mobile base....WATCH THE CONVEYOR MOTOR. It sticks out waiting to get bent against something....don't ask me how I know this...those motors aren't cheap! I was lucky with a little time and a hammer and chisel I got the shaft straight again. 

-Ace-

I’m wanting to put a mobile base on it.  Trying to decide if the Portamate 2500 will get big enough for this 36.5x20.5 base.  What kind of base did you put on it?

1 hour ago, Jonathan McCully said:

I’m wanting to put a mobile base on it.  Trying to decide if the Portamate 2500 will get big enough for this 36.5x20.5 base.  What kind of base did you put on it?

the portamate bases come with extension kits. So buy based off weight and if it's not large enough get the edtension. I have the 2000 and 2500 and i like the 2000 better. I think those models are right.

5 hours ago, Jonathan McCully said:

Got the belt and put it on today and after a long period of patience, got it tracking correctly

I have a Grizzly drum sander and last Saturday I decided it was maintenance day.  Put new casters on the base, cut a 4" hole in the drum cover for more and better DC, cleaned it, greased everything that is supposed to be greased, and then futzed with the tracking for the better part of 3 hours.  I feel your pain.