Oxalic Acid to reduce grain vibrance?

ArtJacobson

Hi, 

Would a product like Oxalic Acid help tone down the vibrancy of a grain like pine? 

I like the pattern on some of the wood I have but need it much much less vibrant / less contrast.

I was originally thinking gel stain would help and just color things evenly, but the grain still pops on my test piece. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

No. It won't. I don't think a two part wood bleach will do it either. Without having tried it, I think one way (maybe the only way) to do this is to find a stain or dye color that matches the denser darker grain as closely as possible. As you know, the softer wood (summer wood) absorbs color more than the darker (winter wood). This is why most stains or dyes end up giving the contrast you don't like. So, find a color that evens them out.

Of course, just a clear finish without any stain (particularly a water based clear) will result in less contrast.

I've not tried it, but I think you can seal the wood with shellac and then use a glaze rather than stain to provide color. Some one with experience using glazes I'm sure can elaborate.

• Like 1

Hindsight always being crystal clear, I'll just toss out something that may be helpful next time.  When I am making my material selection, I have already decided on how I will finish something.  It is part of the selection process even within the species I am culling through.  One piece of cherry can finish very differently than another piece of cherry if it came from a different batch.  When  get material that has been sawn in sequence, I mark them before they go in the rack to make it  easier for me to select boards when I go to use it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gee-dub said:

One piece of cherry can finish very differently than another piece of cherry if it came from a different batch.  When  get material that has been sawn in sequence, I mark them before they go in the rack to make it  easier for me to select boards when I go to use it.

@gee-dub, from where do you source sequenced lumber? Unless I’m there when my supplier gets his delivery, I’m not even sure it comes from the same region and that’s not a given.

Or depending on your stain manufacture you can make a shader concentrate.Typically you thin your topcoat with 50% thinner and add  1/2 to 1 tsp of your stain. I like to use water-based from a single manufacture so you know all the materials play nice with each other. Each finish manufacturer will tell you what ratios they like mixed. 

The above is a spray type application. 

Or you can glaze over your topcoat by hand with a stain. Just make sure you let things dry really good between coats. Glazing will tend to muddy the look of the wood. 

-Ace-