Rustic woodworking

8 hours ago, oldman_woodworker said:

In total, I learned something, got to practice some skills, cleaned up scrap timber from under the hose and made my wife happy

Sometimes this is all you want out of a project.  Well done.

9 hours ago, lewisc said:

I like the angles cut on the end of the top. The little details add a nice touch.

Thanks Lewis, the angles were Dave's idea, I had drawn just squared ends

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

That came out great.  Seems like the perfect size for that location.  Are you coating it with anything or leaving the wood bare?

Thanks Mark, I have coated it with a product called Aquadeck 

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like the detail on the ends of the boards as well it adds a lot to the look.

Thanks Chestnut, cutting angles on the boards is now something I have learned to add in a project like this, as I said above I had never even thought of it, Dave had actually drawn a nicer curved end but I knew couldn't replicate each curve the same to each rail so I just chopped them at the angle

3 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Very nice work.  I like it.

Thanks Ron

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Sometimes this is all you want out of a project.  Well done.

Thanks Chet

19 minutes ago, oldman_woodworker said:

Thanks Chestnut, cutting angles on the boards is now something I have learned to add in a project like this, as I said above I had never even thought of it, Dave had actually drawn a nicer curved end but I knew couldn't replicate each curve the same to each rail so I just chopped them at the angle

Not sure if you have a band saw with the capacity to stack them and cut them all together. Also they are distanced far enough apart that cutting 1 and using it as a template would probably not be noticeable. I've used the 2nd method a lot. It's surprising how little distance it takes for something to not be noticeable, there are exceptions to this though so it's best to exercise caution.

36 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Not sure if you have a band saw with the capacity to stack them and cut them all together. Also they are distanced far enough apart that cutting 1 and using it as a template would probably not be noticeable. I've used the 2nd method a lot. It's surprising how little distance it takes for something to not be noticeable, there are exceptions to this though so it's best to exercise caution.

No bandsaw yet Chestnut ( it is on the wishlist, along with numerous other tools)

To be honest I'm not even sure how I could cut a nice curve at all, this timber as my builder brother calls it is 2nd grade steel ;)

As for a little bit of distance Im using that to good help with my mitres :D

On 1/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, wdwerker said:

Hey, remember you get points for any project that you finish and she likes. That's kinda the backbone of a craftsmans world.  If your woodworking buddies approve that's icing on the cake. Working with old materials is twice if not 3 times as hard. 

Is it straight ? Is it flat and square to an adjacent side ? Then and only then are you off to a good start. But don't freak out, 40 + years of experience and I still get materials or a project that refuse to cooperate ....

Thanks Steve