Sign in to follow this  
oldman_woodworker

Rustic woodworking

Recommended Posts

 I like the angles cut on the end of the top. The little details add a nice touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That came out great.  Seems like the perfect size for that location.  Are you coating it with anything or leaving the wood bare?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oldman_woodworker said:

In total, I learned something, got to practice some skills, cleaned up scrap timber from under the hose and made my wife happy

Sometimes this is all you want out of a project.  Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lewisc said:

 I like the angles cut on the end of the top. The little details add a nice touch.

Thanks Lewis, the angles were Dave's idea, I had drawn just squared ends

7 hours ago, Mark J said:

That came out great.  Seems like the perfect size for that location.  Are you coating it with anything or leaving the wood bare?

Thanks Mark, I have coated it with a product called Aquadeck 

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I like the detail on the ends of the boards as well it adds a lot to the look.

Thanks Chestnut, cutting angles on the boards is now something I have learned to add in a project like this, as I said above I had never even thought of it, Dave had actually drawn a nicer curved end but I knew couldn't replicate each curve the same to each rail so I just chopped them at the angle

3 hours ago, Ronn W said:

Very nice work.  I like it.

Thanks Ron

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Sometimes this is all you want out of a project.  Well done.

Thanks Chet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, oldman_woodworker said:

Thanks Chestnut, cutting angles on the boards is now something I have learned to add in a project like this, as I said above I had never even thought of it, Dave had actually drawn a nicer curved end but I knew couldn't replicate each curve the same to each rail so I just chopped them at the angle

Not sure if you have a band saw with the capacity to stack them and cut them all together. Also they are distanced far enough apart that cutting 1 and using it as a template would probably not be noticeable. I've used the 2nd method a lot. It's surprising how little distance it takes for something to not be noticeable, there are exceptions to this though so it's best to exercise caution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Not sure if you have a band saw with the capacity to stack them and cut them all together. Also they are distanced far enough apart that cutting 1 and using it as a template would probably not be noticeable. I've used the 2nd method a lot. It's surprising how little distance it takes for something to not be noticeable, there are exceptions to this though so it's best to exercise caution.

No bandsaw yet Chestnut ( it is on the wishlist, along with numerous other tools)

To be honest I'm not even sure how I could cut a nice curve at all, this timber as my builder brother calls it is 2nd grade steel ;)

As for a little bit of distance Im using that to good help with my mitres :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, wdwerker said:

Hey, remember you get points for any project that you finish and she likes. That's kinda the backbone of a craftsmans world.  If your woodworking buddies approve that's icing on the cake. Working with old materials is twice if not 3 times as hard. 

Is it straight ? Is it flat and square to an adjacent side ? Then and only then are you off to a good start. But don't freak out, 40 + years of experience and I still get materials or a project that refuse to cooperate ....

Thanks Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    27,488
    Total Topics
    366,792
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    20,677
    Total Members
    1,529
    Most Online
    Tony Collado
    Newest Member
    Tony Collado
    Joined