Cutting board

James Miller

Good morning, I’d like to make my wife a cutting board for Valentine’s Day. My wood selection is limited to Home Depot. I’d like to make something Two toned. I know I should use hard woods, but I don’t know how to finish it. What to use to seal or safe stains to use, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally there's not much in the way of choice at the orange place.  They might have Oak and Maple, and that's about as close to contrast you're likely to get there.   The finish for cutting boards is varied, but generally Mineral oil is your best bet.  D's right about oak, unless they have white oak. Maple, Cherry, and walnut is not likely to be found there, but you can give it a try.  Or contact a lumber yard and ask.  Most will mill it for you at another cost.  But you're going to have a lot of excess wood for other projects.

• Like 2

I think it should be noted that you should never stain a cutting board.... I don't know what is in those dyes or stains but i wouldn't want to eat them.

Woods that i can get at my local box store that i'd use in a cutting board are walnut, yellow birch, maple, and cherry but your selection may vary. Where you live will drive the selection often. Alder may be ok but it's awfully soft and will mark up quickly from knives.

You could try craig's list. I know around me there are people that sell shorts of various species. Just search materials and type in the species. I also know there is a local lumber dealer that deals specifically in shorts they buy from local cabinet shops. Also a local cabinet shop might sell you some shorts.

• Like 1