Project parts sorting cubbies

Bombarde16

The organ pipes are interesting. For some reason i always thought those would be made from metal. That's really interesting.

The cubbies is a great idea. I don't ever seem to have that many individual parts to keep track of but agree that organization is important. That underlayment stuff is a PITA but it's cheap and if you can hold it flat will serve some use.

With the torsion style i wonder if that thin material would be strong enough for a drawer or drawer insert for small screws?

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The organ pipes are interesting. For some reason i always thought those would be made from metal.

Customarily, yes. Most organ pipes are an alloy of tin and lead. (Some lower quality builders will also use zinc; but we don't talk about them...) Metal pipes come off the bench with more potential for brilliance and overtones in the final sound; they take up less space, and they're far faster and cheaper to make. When wood gets used, it's typically for larger pipes that might collapse under their own weight. No sane organ builder would make an octave of small wood pipes like this. I just did it as a personal challenge and skill building opportunity.

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The cubbies is a great idea. I don't ever seem to have that many individual parts to keep track of but agree that organization is important. That underlayment stuff is a PITA but it's cheap and if you can hold it flat will serve some use.

If only! Nothing is cheap anymore. The BORG is already up to almost $20 a sheet for this stuff.

I got all twelve trays done and await a clear, warm day to spray a quick coat of shop paint. Nine are out in the backyard storage shed. Three are in the shop in active use already. This is the beginning of a round of picture frames. Two massive sticks of wonky sycamore broken down, sorted, and ready for milling.

Can't expect that these trays are going to last forever. But until they wear out, this is quite promising.

IMG_20190207_120152.jpg