Boxes - Scrap Elimination and Surprise Gift Insurance

gee-dub

Not opposite ends of the same board on opposite sides of the blade because that would amplify your error by least 2.  It is possible to cut mating ends of two boards on opposite sides of the blade.  You would have to experiment with your particular setup.  Personally I would find trying to keep track a little daunting but, I imagine it would become routine if you used this method a bit.

I have a mitre sled for my table saw. The left fence I carefully installed it at 45. But I did not worry about perfect. On the right side I was very demanding on getting square to the other fence. By cutting each piece on both sides I get square. Perfect for mitering frames...

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding your 10-305 bandsaw-

I like the improved fence you made! I may need to make a similar one for mine.

Did you resaw those panels on the 10-305? I tried to resaw a 4.75" piece of cherry yesterday and it did not go well with my Starrett blade. The poplar test I did gave pretty good results, but I only got about 1.5" into the cherry before moving over to the table saw. I will admit I was rather impatient in setting up the guides this time, but figured it was good enough when the poplar resaw didn't have any meaningful deflection or drift. Any tips?

On 2/25/2019 at 7:50 AM, JohnG said:

Regarding your 10-305 bandsaw-

I like the improved fence you made! I may need to make a similar one for mine.

Did you resaw those panels on the 10-305? I tried to resaw a 4.75" piece of cherry yesterday and it did not go well with my Starrett blade. The poplar test I did gave pretty good results, but I only got about 1.5" into the cherry before moving over to the table saw. I will admit I was rather impatient in setting up the guides this time, but figured it was good enough when the poplar resaw didn't have any meaningful deflection or drift. Any tips?

Thanks.  The stock fence relies on the table edge which is a little too irregular for my taste.  I was looking at truing up the table but then just milled a piece of scrap as I needed an easily adjustable fence for what I was doing at the time.  Not super elegant but, workable and open to adaptation to your needs.  Replacement fences are just a scrap box away :D

I resaw on my 17" machine with a carbide blade so, I am no good to you on tips for resawing on the 10".  It does suit me well for curved work which is why I got it.  It moves along pretty well even in 6/4 white oak.  Cutting to its height capacity is reportedly good in the reviews but, the feed rate would have to be such that the machine didn't bog.

52 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Thanks.  The stock fence relies on the table edge which is a little too irregular for my taste.  I was looking at truing up the table but then just milled a piece of scrap as I needed an easily adjustable fence for what I was doing at the time.  Not super elegant but, workable and open to adaptation to your needs.  Replacement fences are just a scrap box away :D

I resaw on my 17" machine with a carbide blade so, I am no good to you on tips for resawing on the 10".  It does suit me well for curved work which is why I got it.  It moves along pretty well even in 6/4 white oak.  Cutting to its height capacity is reportedly good in the reviews but, the feed rate would have to be such that the machine didn't bog.

Thanks for the response! Looks handy for having a low/tall option. I’ve found the fence to be irregular as well, it’s definitely not lock and go. I usually check for square in both directions before and after locking it. 

Makes sense. I got it for curves and small things, but have had decent results resawing smaller (2-3”) or softer stock up to capacity. I’ll eventually get a 14-17” bandsaw for real resawing and ripping thicker stock.