Boxes - Scrap Elimination and Surprise Gift Insurance

gee-dub

The black ones are Lee Valley which are quite nice. The pot metal ones I think are woodcraft. Whatever they are they were on sale for a price that I should’ve bought a couple sets :huh:.  Some pocket change for some couplers and some quarter inch threaded rod and you can get quite a lot of versatile set up’s. I’ve seen several shop made versions and they would work equally well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Do you run the 2nd board vertical along the table saw fence for a perfect 90 or do you try and dial the blade perfectly to 45 degrees?

I just set it at 45 degrees with a Beall Tilt-Box.  Someone had made a comment in a thread about remembering where to reference from.  I use a small sled for the bevel cuts . . . 

57c030e16f9cf_BoxSled(17).jpg.b1fab6b583c2d806b520c49adcaca04a.jpg

. . . and have to remember to zero the Tilt-Box on the sled base and then set the blade.  The difference may only be a fraction of a degree between table surface and sled surface but, when multiplied by eight cuts can make the joint fit . . . not-so-good. :unsure:

Since you flip the blank to cut the miters (to make the gap in the figure as minimal as possible) it is important to have the long edges very parallel.  Ripping to width on the tablesaw takes care of this.  I also use the hold down clamps you see on the sled for every cut.  The few moments it takes to clamp the blank is well worth the predictable results.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

@gee-dub, any pics showing how you cut the pulls?

I like this design, BTW.

Doh!  Didn't think to take any. I mill the material to just over 1/4" to allow for the taper.  The drum sander excels at working with thinner stock but, whatever method you have will work.  I draw the shape on the stock and use a scrollsaw to cut them out but, have done them on the bandsaw as well.

The inner arc is smoothed at the spindle sander, the outer arc at the drum sander.  The outer arc is refined on the "abrasive on board" fixture shown earlier.  I use a wiping motion across the abrasive by hand to remove disc sander marks.  I the use the same wiping motion on a sanding block of 220 and another of 320 grit paper. 

The sides of the pull are rubbed in a random pattern against the same 220 and 320 grit abrasive.  Not terribly sophisticated and yields a similar but, not identical product.  I'm okay with that as I like to emphasize that they are 'hand made'.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2019 at 7:57 PM, gee-dub said:

I think the shop-gods plan this to make me appreciate my shop time all the more 

Boy, I can't tell you how much I now believe this.  I got my wife to help me get my knee scooter down the steps to the shop for just a half hour ofttimes there.  Waxed the tops of the tools and a couple of other things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I was under the impression that you were doing sort of normal things only a couple hours a day before. What’s different!?! :D

:lol::lol::lol:

I am not sure I am capable of anything normal.  Don't you have to be normal to do normal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1