Panel Saw vs. Track Saw

Tobykanobe

My supervisor at work has just ordered a portable panel saw which spurred the conversation of the pros and cons of a panel saw vs. a track saw.  Being a novice, I'm pretty ignorant.  I have the Kreg track and universal sled for my existing circular saw.  But I'm curious for those that have both, and setting cost aside, if you have a panel saw, is there any reason to have a track saw?

As always, thanks for the input.

My initial thought would be the portability.  If you are a cabinet shop or some other business that works at a single location then the panel saw might be the way to go.  But if you go to the job site to do your work the track saw has more portability to it.  The one other advantage that I can think of that the track saw has is that you can cut angles with it such as making a 45 degree cut or any other degree across a sheet of ply.  I am not sure this can be done on a panel saw.

While I don't have a track saw (I'm comfortable with other alternatives), the comment I would make echos Nut - a panel saw is for panels - sheet goods.  A track saw is more versatile in its compatibility with other thicknesses of wood.

One of my company's plants has a panel saw that they use for making pallet decks and tops for custom items.  Great at making horizontal or vertical cuts but not able to cut diagonals or any thing thicker than maybe .75".  You could remove the circular saw from the panel rig to make other cuts but then you risk misaligning it when you replace it.

I’d also go with a track saw unless I was running a cabinet shop. Really depends on what it will be used for.

The panel saw at HD near me can cut 2x 3/4” ply just fine unless it’s the new guy using it, trying to run the saw head through the wood at 37mph. 

• 1 month later...

I have a Festool tracksaw, costly, and it makes separating sheets exceptionally simple. As a matter of fact made structure speakers, at any rate, the MDF cutting and fitting, much simpler. I used to utilize a table saw with a homebuilt sled, however, the track saw is simpler. 

That being stated, a straightedge and round observed can do most if not all that a track saw can do. Set up is simply path simpler with a tracksaw. 

Table saw has: Dado capacity, left and right sharp edge points, positive stop fence (tracks can move! on tracksaw) 

Tracksaw has: Conveyability and little stockpiling when not being used, was simpler setup for cuts, and at any rate on account of the Festool stuff awesome residue gathering (others might be as great simply have not utilized them)