Oneida V3000 vs Gorilla Pro (vs felder)

Cygnus A

Yes another one of these topics. I just cannot decide if the extra 1k is worth it for the Gorilla Pro. I have a full shop in a 3 car garage that consists of all the major big tools one could expect. Will the 3hp V3000 be sufficient? At what point does the Gorilla Pro become the logical choice? As a hobbiest I will never run more than 1 tool at once, but at the same time i want the best dust collection possible. I’ve been limping a long with a modded Harbor Freight DC and my garage is covered in dust all the time.

The benefit of the Gorilla is an optional 5hp motor that the V series no longer has. This is a minimal bump over the 3hp in price so the decision is V3000 vs 5hp Gorilla.

Also considering a Felder RL series.

Thoughts? Talk me into one or the other.

Doesn't the pro also have the cfm boost? That seems like an interesting feature.

The nice thing about the 3hp pro is you may get a bit more separation for a drum sander. I have a fairly well sealed system and run my drum sander with 2 gates open on my 3hp pro and get good seperation. With the v300 you may have to clean your filter every 10 months instead of 12.

I have had the 3HP dust gorilla for about 15 years in a 3 car shop, full disclosure the dust collector serves a  26 x 26 space the rest is wood storage and spray room. I have never wanted for more suction and routinely have more than one gate open not becuase I'm running two tools but either I forgot or if I'm making a quick cut it works fine for everything but my A3/31 JP that one needs full strength but it also has a 15' flex hose (6") to it.

DC.JPG.5ec96d52e05eea52910d63545646b0e2.JPG

1833858738_Hammer-3.thumb.JPG.d278f195bf72ffe8c470c38b1e670f5d.JPG

• Like 1

A couple months back I reached out to Oneida asking them about their machines in this range, and comparing them to the options available from Laguna and Grizzly. I was a bit disappointed with the response. I was expecting some specific reason they felt their machines were superior, given the significant price premium, but the only thing they mentioned was that they manufacturer in the USA.  Didn't really help with my decision making process (which is still on going, as I'm moving in about 10 days). 

I'll tell you a dirty little secret about the Oneida V-5000; it uses the same impeller as the V-3000. I have a V-5000 and under no circumstance can I get that motor loaded more than about 60%, which is, wait for it... 3 HP. Even with no filter & nothing but 5' of straight, open duct on the inlet. Numerous conversations with Oneida could answer that little puzzle.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, drzaius said:

I'll tell you a dirty little secret about the Oneida V-5000; it uses the same impeller as the V-3000. I have a V-5000 and under no circumstance can I get that motor loaded more than about 60%, which is, wait for it... 3 HP. Even with no filter & nothing but 5' of straight, open duct on the inlet. Numerous conversations with Oneida could answer that little puzzle.

So their airflow charts are lying? The V-5000 chart shows a lot more air movement.

On 6/4/2019 at 1:04 AM, Fly2low said:

Of the ones you mentioned, I would pick the Felder.  Personally, I chose Clear Vue

Why the Felder? I read great things about it, but the airflow seems lower than the other options (along with expensive replacement filters)

5 hours ago, Fly2low said:

My shop is both temperature and humidity controlled, therefore cannot vent outside.

Mine is as well but one of the few things I would do differently in my shop is have the filter in an insulated closet attached to the back of the shop. It would help immensly with noise when the collector is running.

6 hours ago, Fly2low said:

My shop is both temperature and humidity controlled, therefore cannot vent outside.

I looked for a unit with the best airflow and filters.  Felder and Clear Vue met my criteria.  YMMV

If you are not aware of this site, it is wordy but very useful

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm#index.cfm

Oneida has better rated filters. Clearvue filters aren't HEPA certified and are only 99.99% at 0.5 micron vs 99.97% at 0.3 micron. That is a huge difference. The main reason i went oneida.

Clearvue has a better cyclone design. I just wish they offered a 3hp version. I don't need a 5hp collector and didn't want to have to run bigger wires to accommodate.

I also liked that the Oneida system was easy to get free standing. CV doesn't have a free standing option only wall mount which cramped my style.

Clearvue is the obvious choice now with the HUGE price hike that Oneida put in. I got my 3hp Gorilla pro unit with a larger filter for $1,000 less than what they want now.... :(

I am fortunate to have a 2 car attached garage and a detached three car garage.  The three car garage only sees a car enter for oil changes and other minor maintenance,  The lift is in there.  Mini split and dehumidifier x 2 accomplishes the environmental control

• Like 2

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

@Fly2low& @pkinneb, temp and humidity controlled as in 24/7? How can you do that in a three car garage year round? 

Like @Fly2lowmy shop is a detached structure (3 car garage) our cars go in the attached 3 car garage. The shop is insulated just like the house and has its own ducted forced air heat and air conditioning systems. I went with standard ducted system because the building is split into 4 different areas. On the main level I have the main shop, then a small (1/3 of one stall) spray area, the other 2/3's is a wood and mower storage area. Since the thermostat is in the main shop if I leave the single garage door open while I mow or move new stock in its not a problem becuase just that small space warms up but will not cause the heat or air to go on. I also have a 10 x 14 room upstairs that I store all of my ww books in, have a desk and computer, and have an industrial sewing machine and associated sewing area set up in. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 1:31 AM, Fly2low said:

I looked for a unit with the best airflow and filters.  Felder and Clear Vue met my criteria.  YMMV

If you are not aware of this site, it is wordy but very useful

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm#index.cfm

So you have both the clear view and a Felder?  I am trying to figure out which one to buy, I have a 20x40 detached shop and can vent outside (rural area) but in the winter I would t want to.  Looking at either the RL160 or the all metal 5hp clearview.  I like that the Felder is all buttoned up and clean looking other than that I have no idea which one to get!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Felder's design isnt two stage, correct? I dont know how you compete in that price range of DC without high efficiency separation. Not to mention the Felder lineup is more than the clearvue, i believe. I have the 3hp grizzly cyclone. The filter and its associated connections sucked from day one. I modified it to accept a wynn filter, and its been much better ever since.