Anybody have white interior trim in their house?

pkinneb

23 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Many houses are dependent on the stair tread. Painted pickets on stained or clear treated treads often have stained or clear treated hand rails. Can you let us know what the tread treatment is like in order to focus in on the suggestions?

They will be carpet treads.

6 minutes ago, Llama said:

Probably not the best pic, but I don't have another stairs pic at the moment. But this is how ours is.

Thanks! I was thinking white but then started second guessing myself. This helps.

• Like 1

We have white trim in our house, metal railings painted white but wood on top that's 'oakish'. Basement treads are oak, 2nd floor are carpet. Purchased the house like this, not sure I would have done it that way but it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

Honestly it's whatever you prefer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Trying to determine what to do with the stair railing and curious what a house with white trim typically has. Are they painted? If yes, white? or go with wood of some sort? We have all oak trim upstairs but the boss wanted white trim in the basement.

Maybe think of the staircase as a transition between the oak and the white and include aspects of both?

A white skirt with the oak handrail is common.   The white wainscoting always looks nice down a stairs with an oak handrail, but then you might need to continue this along the walls.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnG said:

We have white trim, carpeted stairs. Rails are also “oakish” as legenddc said. On the wall side there are metal supports (chrome ish). On the open side the the balusters and other trim under the rail are white. 

Is this a Virginia style?

The wood around the staircase/railings on the first floor between the two staircases is real wood ("oakish") and then maple engineered hardwood and maple cabinets. We're waiting for the kids to get a little older before we replace the engineered hardwood and hopefully get it all closer to matching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Is this a Virginia style?

I'm actually not sure. The house we are in is relatively new construction (2011). My mother has an older construction house near Richmond VA and her house has white trim, oak floors, oak stair rails. The balusters are rectangular profile and painted white. They are 'mortised' into the floor, so there's no trim around the bottom on hers.

• Like 1