Any online Tax free vendors left?

pkinneb

Another tactic is to have an item shipped to a bricks and mortar store.  Home Depot and Walmart are surprising on what they sell on line and of course there's Woodcraft and Rockler, etc.  You still pay sales tax, but not shipping.  And I pick the store near me with the lowest sales tax rate.  

Further on the plus side, the delivery to the store is secure and the item can sit there a few days until it's convenient for you to take home.  And it's a much simpler matter to return.  

On the minus side if it's a large item you do have to figure out how to get it to your home (lift gat truck rental).  On the other hand if you have the item shipped directly to your house it may only get to your curb and you can be confident it will be raining that day.

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I don't think ACME charges but my last experience with a purchase from them was a couple of years ago.  Sometimes I think it is based on the state that it is being shipped to.

They do here becuase they are MN based. 

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Another tactic is to have an item shipped to a bricks and mortar store.  Home Depot and Walmart are surprising on what they sell on line and of course there's Woodcraft and Rockler, etc.  You still pay sales tax, but not shipping.  And I pick the store near me with the lowest sales tax rate.  

Further on the plus side, the delivery to the store is secure and the item can sit there a few days until it's convenient for you to take home.  And it's a much simpler matter to return.  

On the minus side if it's a large item you do have to figure out how to get it to your home (lift gat truck rental).  On the other hand if you have the item shipped directly to your house it may only get to your curb and you can be confident it will be raining that day.

Yep I'm thinking I will have to pay it which isn't the end of the world just didn't want to pay it only to find out I could have order somewhere else tax free.

I have a tractor so no issues getting it off a truck etc :)

Just now, Mick S said:

When I bought from them I mentioned that the AWFS show price was in effect and they knocked off $750.

Thanks Mick I found a 10% off at HD that will cover the tax and then some. One nice thing about home depot is if heaven forbid I have any issues like Kev did with his Powermatic TS I can take it back easy.

7 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

They passed a federal law that requires all companies to collect sales tax. I think that it's at an end. Thanks to south Dakota.

I've started just buying local that way the local business get the profit and then I'm not paint shipping.

Thanks Drew I thought that was the case. Glad you all were able to help me out thanks just didn't want to kick myself tomorrow LOL 

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Ummm which tool is this?

Ever since attending the Marc Adams school last year I have been looking for a used pm 719t mortiser I have only seen a couple come up one was hatched and they wanted $900 for it the other was $700 and had a cracked housing on the upright. I felt with the amount of tension on these machines it was only a matter of time before that would be a problem.

I ordered one today from HD shipped all in including tax was $1179.60

10 hours ago, Chestnut said:

They passed a federal law that requires all companies to collect sales tax. I think that it's at an end. Thanks to south Dakota.

I've started just buying local that way the local business get the profit and then I'm not paint shipping.

No law passed.   The Supreme Court overturned the Quill v. North Dakota ruling, with South Dakota v. Wayfair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_v._Wayfair,_Inc.

So if your state has a law saying they have to collect sales tax, then they have to collect sales tax.   I think since that ruling most states have now passed such laws.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark J said:

So here's a thing I'm just realising.  You know how everything being sold at Amazon is not all being sold by Amazon, well the same is true for Walmart (and probably Home Depot).  

My wife wants this TV boombox so I did a Google search and there's a hit right off at Walmart, but it's not Walmart.  The return policy is crap, no in store pickup and I don't want to buy from Notwalmart (or Notamazon or Nothomedepot for that matter), so I scroll down a bit on the search results and there's a Walmart listing again.  Exact item, same price, but now it is being sold by Walmart with in store pickup and in store return.  

So be careful when shopping at reputable-retailer.com that you are really shopping that retailer, and if not, look a bit further.  

This is where I like amazon a bit better than the rest. If they sell something through a 3rd party and there is an issue they go to bat for the consumer. Generally the return is painless and through the amazon site. I've had a few issues with 3rd party sellers on amazon and i have to say they have been better interactions than dealing with amazon it's self. This may not always be the case but just sharing my experience.

For the other 2 i agree. I don't shop Walmart but If i did I'd go to the store. HD same thing.