INCRA I-BOX

MJC

Well not sure if anyone else has this and no I didn't search because I wanted it regardless. I ordered the I-Box from INCRA and I also ordered 2 of the push block combos they offer because I needed some of these anyway. My only concern is using the jig with the sawstop but I guess I can run it in bypass mode if I have to. It just looks like parts of this get really close to the blade and I guess I would worry about it throwing the saw into safety mode. 

If the parts are aluminum and get close running in bypass isn't a bad idea. I'm not entirely sure but I've read having metal close to the blade changes the conductivity of the wood enough to sometimes trigger. This is just rumor from forums so not entirely sure if there is 100% truth behind it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

It just looks like parts of this get really close to the blade and I guess I would worry about it throwing the saw into safety mode. 

Check your owners manual for this but there is a way to test a setup with the saw plugged in but not turned on that will tell you whether the jig will trigger the brake system.  You run the jig over the blade with the saw off and you get a light sequence on your power box that will tell you everything is clear.  

Get in the habit of doing this anytime you change the angle on you blade and/or miter gauge.

1 minute ago, Chet said:

Check your owners manual for this but there is a way to test a setup with the saw plugged in but not turned on that will tell you whether the jig will trigger the brake system.  You run the jig over the blade with the saw off and you get a light sequence on your power box that will tell you everything is clear.  

Yeah it will turn red I believe just like if you touch the blade with your finger with the saw off of course, but I worry that with the blade spinning if there is any flex in the blade it could move closer than doing the test as you are mentioning and trigger the safety mode. 

Ok I guess I worry to much. I loved the idea of the safety features of this saw and now I sometimes dislike it because I hate the thought of getting to close "might" trigger something I don't want. Maybe once I get more experience with it I wont have such a concern.

56 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

If the parts are aluminum and get close running in bypass isn't a bad idea. I'm not entirely sure but I've read having metal close to the blade changes the conductivity of the wood enough to sometimes trigger. This is just rumor from forums so not entirely sure if there is 100% truth behind it.

Well I might just use bypass mode while using it until I know for sure. I posted a link to a website that is run by a tech from SawStop not long ago. I may reach out to him and ask what his thoughts are. He did mention before that SawStop techs cringe when people call and mention INCRA because of the materials used in their products and the callers always say "I made sure I had enough clearance" which is probably why I am so unsure. I did move the fence back a tad on the crosscut sled and I haven't had any issues. 

25 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I've used the I-box jig a bunch with my saw stop and had no issues. I think you'll be fine.

Ok this is great to hear, I am looking forward to learning how to use it. They said it is about a 2 to 4 week turn around time so I wont have it for a minute. I need time to get some other things done anyway and finish a couple other things I started. I have a small case of OCD and I don't like having to many things going at once. I like things organized and right now I have a mess because I have to many things started and not finished.

It's just a $50 saw blade a $60 cartridge and a pair of underpants if it triggers. Not like there is any risk to the project parts at least. Sounds tongue in cheek but if you ever work with book matched figured wood it's not like you can go buy another unique piece.

As long as you adjust the fence properly for the width blade you are using, the metal bits don’t actually get very close to the blade. You do get metal bits close when setting it up for the width, but the saw is off during this part. 

It IS possible to run the blade through the aluminum (Ask me how I know) but with a bit of care during setup you’ll be fine. My miter gauge gets much closer to the blade than the ibox.