Walrus Oil

danbell78

Haven't got much feedback from other sources yet, so I will try you guys in this forum.  

Does anyone have experience with Walrus Oil Furniture Finish?  I bought some and want to try it but a bit scared to throw it on the grandfather clock I am finishing up.  Specifically a bit nervous about putting it over an oil based stain. 

https://walrusoil.com/products/furniture-finish

Thanks!

I have no idea how it would react. I'd create a test board with your wood, the stain you applied, and try finishing it with the walrus oil. My thought is that the stain will prevent the oil from penetrating as far as it needs to. It may work it may not. Most of those finishes are intended to be used over bare wood.

Just heard an old-ish episode of @thewoodwhisperer Fiday Live show, where Marc addressed the topic of non-drying oil finishes. I'm reasonably certain he said Walrus oil is similar to mineral oil, in that it does NOT cure. I would only use that on bare wood, and only expect it to look like, well, wet wood.

The Walrus Oil Furniture finish is a drying oil, they have other products that might be non-drying.  

That said I chickened out and just started applying good oil wipe on poly on the clock project.  Will save the Walrus Oil for another project.  Next project is some side tables for my family room, and nervous on it with 3 kids using and abusing these tables.  Good thing would be that this finish should be easy to freshen up when needed.  

Thanks!

• 9 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, Walrus Oil said:

Hey everyone this is Dave Darr, owner of Walrus Oil, just noticed the conversation and wanted to offer some insight. All of our Furniture Finishes are curing finishes. The "Furniture Finish" is most similar to your typical Danish Oil. Our "Furniture Butter" and "Furniture Wax" are made of both drying oils and hard waxes. We also offer a Tung-Oil based product called "Cabin Walls and Hardwood Floors" which is probably the fastest drying product we make. None of our finishes have added dryers or synthetics, so they can sometimes take slightly longer to dry than some finishes that have accelerators in the ingredients.

In regards to our non-drying finishes, that would be our Cutting Board Oil and Wood Wax for Cutting Boards. 

When using our Furniture Finishes with stains, we always recommend only using them with oil-based stains that are fully cured. And just to be safe, test it on a small area first or scrap piece of wood to make sure the results meet your expectations. 

You guys are awesome, thanks for the support, and stay safe out there during this weird time! 

How does the walrus oil furniture finish compare to pure tung oil? Does it have the same satin finish or is it more matte??