Garage Shop Flooring Recommendations

Jonathan McCully

Preparing to move into a new 3 car garage, and my amazing wife is going to let me use all of it to serve as my woodshop. As such, I’m thinking of covering the existing concrete flooring with something a bit more hardy and aesthetically pleasing. I’ve thought about an epoxy or polyaspartic floor covering, but also looking at vinyl tiling. I want something durable but that will allow the space to be resold (if necessary) as a garage someday, so hardwood flooring is out of the question. Was wondering if any of you have finished your garage floors for use as your shop and what you have liked/disliked about what you chose.

My workspace was formerly in my garage, with a concrete floor. It is a KILLER on the lower back. I suggest you look at the "horse stall" mats sold at Tractor Supply Co. Firm enough that most caster-mounted machines can still roll without bogging, they offer a thick, tough surface that is pleasant to stand on for hours on end. Dropped tools are well protected, too.

About $1.95 per square foot. There are companies that offer a similar product with interlocking edges, but the price rises accordingly.

• Like 1

My floor is epoxy coated and a large portion also has the same rubber tiles @Chet linked above. The epoxy makes sweeping up a breeze and the rubber tiles allow me to work out there for extended periods with out getting a sore back especially at the benches. FWIW the tiles actually sweep up better than I would have thought too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

My floor is epoxy coated and a large portion also has the same rubber tiles @Chet linked above. The epoxy makes sweeping up a breeze and the rubber tiles allow me to work out there for extended periods with out getting a sore back especially at the benches. FWIW the tiles actually sweep up better than I would have thought too.

That’s helpful. I think if I do rubber tiles, I’d likely do the whole floor for ease of movement, and my next question was how hard it is to sweep them

My father and I were recently able to pick up a couple rolls of rubber gym flooring from a school surplus auction that we put down in his garage shop which has concrete floors.  It appears to help him work quite a bit longer in the shop w/o getting fatigued or having issues with his feet. I've taken a couple squares and set them in front of my bench (unfortunately have to share the garage with the fiancé's car, real shame I know) and its worked out pretty well.  Clean up of dust and chips is pretty easy with the shop vac.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonathan McCully said:

That’s helpful. I think if I do rubber tiles, I’d likely do the whole floor for ease of movement, and my next question was how hard it is to sweep them

Sorry I cannot speak to moving anything on them as I only put them where I don't typically roll things around. 

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Sorry I cannot speak to moving anything on them as I only put them where I don't typically roll things around. 

Not expecting to move tools around much on them, but with my movement, I don’t want to risk tripping going from concrete to tile or vice versa. I noticed in Mark’s most recent shop tour that he has them everywhere except for under the tools. Would that make a big difference?

Gotcha. As long as you don't need to move anything it would work great. In my shop I do move the bandsaws, J/P, and drum sander on a pretty regular basis which is why I didn't do that side of the shop. FWIW they are pretty thin like 5/16ths, I think and I don't ever recall tripping on them, my own feet yes but not the floor tiles lol.

• Haha 2

I haven't had any kind of tripping problem at all with mine.  They sweep up pretty well and vacuum even better.  If you are thinking go doing the whole garage floor you might want t olook at their rolls, I think that is a lower price per square foot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

The Tractor supply mats are 3/4" thick, and firmer than most of those interlocking floor systems

Just to share with you Ross, the tiles from Rubber Flooring Inc are light years better then most of the other interlocking floors.  They are a pure joy to work on all day.  But they probably cost more then the Harbor Freight type tiles.

• Like 2