Large Maple cutting board

While I'm waiting on the Shelix cutterhead for my jointer to move forward on the audio rack I'm working on a very large Hard Rock Maple cutting board, at least it's large to me - 18" x 24" x 2" thick.  It weighs about 32 lbs. which is fairly stout, I think.  Matter of fact, the hardest thing about doing one this size is difficulty in handling the glued up board.

It will have a juice groove along two edges of one side and the other side will be laser engraved with a family crest.  Obviously, the side with the juice groove is the working side and the laser engraved side is for show.  TB III is used because it's FDA approved for food service items, plus it gives a few more minutes of open working time.

Here are a few photos up to this point - 

1.75" square strips glued - 
659398678_008-Gluedclamped.thumb.JPG.16453f7ca38dd693c6c5f9519787e2b1.JPG

Trimming one end square; it's too wide for my sled so I had to remove the back board and use clamps to make certain it didn't move as I pushed it into the blade - 
27420520_009-Trimmingoneendsquare.thumb.JPG.2493e02550555937821fad08d173cc9f.JPG

Cutting 2.125" strips on the bandsaw; this is a screenshot from the time lapse video I took as we did the cutting - 
933587832_010-Cuttingonthebandsaw.thumb.jpg.b4d9a22ec8a190e78016bf00dea67932.jpg

End grain strips set on table saw extension - 
1218352407_011-Endgrainpiecesoffthebandsaw.thumb.JPG.01389f69d3285c8e6433013ffd37d9e0.JPG

Tomorrow I'll sand each strip, then arrange them to look the best, and then glue the pieces.  

There is a live video on my Instagram, about one minute of the glue up.  Later, I'll post video of other steps on Instagram.

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 6:00 PM, treeslayer said:

Well done David, now the question is will they actually use it ? some think they are too nice to cut on, it is a beautiful piece 

Thank you!  They guy who had it made said it will definitely get used but the newlyweds haven't seen it yet so my guess is that it could end up being a display board only.

David

On 9/13/2020 at 8:48 AM, Chestnut said:

That's a really nice board. I don't put a juice edge on any of the boards for my self. When cutting juicy things i just move to the sink.

Thank you!  Out of 80+ cutting boards I think this is only the second one I've put a juice groove in, maybe the third.  But they wanted it so I cut it for them.

David