BS blade width

jussi

I have a laguna LT HD 4.5hp motor.  Planning on ordering a Resaw king to replace the current blade.   Currently I have a 1" blade.   It says max width for blade is 1-1/4" however.  Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the 1-1/4" since greater width traditionally implies better resaw results.  Reason I ask is I notice (at least it seems to me) that many people go with the 1" width with their larger BS.  Will I have problems tensioning it? 

The saw will only be for resawing btw.  I have a 14" for curves.

From what I understand a wider blade requires more tension.  Bandsaw makers and marketers talk about how wide a blade can be run on the wheels and through the guides, not necessarily what can be properly tensioned.  So I think the consensus here is to run blades at least one step down (if not two) from "maxed out".  

18 minutes ago, Mark J said:

From what I understand a wider blade requires more tension.  Bandsaw makers and marketers talk about how wide a blade can be run on the wheels and through the guides, not necessarily what can be properly tensioned.  So I think the consensus here is to ru blades at least one step down (if not two) from "maxed out".  

This may be the case for low end entry saws but on high end units the OP probably has I doubt this is the case.

I'd go with the 1"blade. Often more than that isn't necessary. I can make good actuate resaws on 12" material with a 3/4" blade.

The larger blades big benefit is being able to have fewer teeth per inch and larger gullets up remove sawdust more efficiently. I don't know how wide your typical resaw is in your shop. Ig you commonly resaw over 15" it might be worth it. Otherwise probably not.

23 minutes ago, Mark J said:

From what I understand a wider blade requires more tension.  Bandsaw makers and marketers talk about how wide a blade can be run on the wheels and through the guides, not necessarily what can be properly tensioned.  So I think the consensus here is to ru blades at least one step down (if not two) from "maxed out".  

I was going to say the same thing only Mark did a better job explaining.  I really don't think, with you saw tuned up, you would notice any difference with the smaller blade.

A large number of  saws can't tension a 1" carbide blade to 25,000psi (including some felders). The width rating is typically what will fit on the wheel and where it can generally tension a carbon steel blade at 15000 to 20000psi

What are you trying to gain with a wider blade? Beam strength increases with width, but you need increased tension to get the performance. 

Most people go with a 1" carbide because there is no reason to go wider as there is no performance gain. Some would do better with a 3/4" blade and more psi. 

50 minutes ago, Jar944 said:

A large number of  saws can't tension a 1" carbide blade to 25,000psi (including some felders). The width rating is typically what will fit on the wheel and where it can generally tension a carbon steel blade at 15000 to 20000psi

What are you trying to gain with a wider blade? Beam strength increases with width, but you need increased tension to get the performance. 

Most people go with a 1" carbide because there is no reason to go wider as there is no performance gain. Some would do better with a 3/4" blade and more psi. 

Laguna specs 16,000 psi tension for the resaw king fyi.

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Interesting that seems surprisingly low compared to what I'd expect. I haven't run a rk as the Lennox woodmaster ct is available for less than half the cost. Iirc I paid $135 shipped for a 13'8" 1.3t woodmaster ct.

34 minutes ago, Jar944 said:

the Lennox woodmaster ct is available for less than half the cost.

I read this as well but while researching prices haven't found it to be true.  At least not for my case 150" blade.  The cheapest I found the woodmaster was at spectrum supply for $125 + shipping which ended up to be around $142 while the RK was $175 with free shipping.  The price difference to me wasn't enough to sway me one way or another.  I ultimately ended up choosing the RK because it supposedly lasts longer and can be sharpened.  The woodmaster supposedly has a better cut quality but dulls faster and can't be or is a little more to sharpen. 

But if you know where you can get the woodmaster for half of the RK that would be enough for me change my mind. 

http://www.spectrumsupply.com/woodmasterct.aspx

52 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you rely on the tension gauge on the BS or use an after market one.  If the latter, which one?

1 hour ago, Jar944 said:

What are you trying to gain with a wider blade?

I've always read that wider was better for resawing so I assumed I would just get the widest one my BS could handle.  But if tensioning could be a problem and there isn't a huge benefit in adding the extra 1/4" then I'll probably just go with the 1"

• Like 1