Proper Adjustment/Use of a Cabinet Scraper

Hammer5573

I recently purchased a Woodcraft cabinet scraper thinking that the ergonomics (I'm an Ergonomist by profession) make more sense than using a card scraper. The problem is that when I'm trying to use it I'm often gouging the wood surface. I assume that it's either because I'm using it improperly or I don't have it adjusted properly. Can anyone give me some advise...?

I have the one from Lee Valley, but I think they work the same. Set the tool onto a flat surface with the blade loosely held in the tool.  The blade should be just touching the surface. Tighten down the two screws that hold the blade. Try it in some scrap. It probably won’t cut. Now start to tighten the screw in front, testing it frequently until it cuts the way you want it to. This assumes the blade is prepared correctly. There are YouTube videos that will show you how to sharpen. How much of a burr you set can also affect the cut. Good luck. 

Looking at the Woodriver #80 clone I see that it does have the adjustment screw that puts a bow in the blade.  If the sole is flat and you set the scraper on a flat surface, back the adjustment screw off so that it is not in play, and install the blade so that it touches that same surface.  Now your blade and sole are in line and the scraper should not cut when moved across the material.  Tighten the adjustment screw and the center of the iron should begin to cut.  The outer edges should not touch.

If the sole or iron are irregular you will have to compensate (or return the tool for a flat one).  Install the blade as described above but, manually back it off the surface that the sole is resting on by a few thou.  A strip of tape that only contacts the iron can be stuck to the surface to do this if that helps.  Make sure the tape only raises the blade and that the sole is not resting on it.

Let's see how that goes and we will go from there.

• Like 1