Ratcheting Tie Downs

Chet

I usually go overkill and get the big yellow ones. I think the ones i get are the 2" straps. They tend to be $10-$12 each. The 1" versions just break on me too quickly. I buy mine at the local box store that is only in the Midwest. I'd bet lowes or HD has something similar though.

The other strap i keep around a lot are the simple cam buckle straps like these. https://www.amazon.com/SmartStraps-10-Foot-Cambuckle-Strength-Transport/dp/B000X1YUZC/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=pull+tighten+strap&qid=1606155900&sr=8-11 I find that i like these a lot for simple loads as they are fast to use and don't break as easily as the cheap ratcheting 1" straps. They have limitations but in general work really well for me.

I have so many, in different sizes, that I can't remember where they all came from. From 27' long 4" ones, down to 1" strap flimsy ones. They all seem to work fine, except for the very small ones with solid color, very flexible straps.  I know some of mine came from Tractor Supply, and some from the sale rack in Harbor Freight.

I'm always amazed at how many people can't seem to operate them.  To loosen, hold the release trigger, and straighten the handle out.  Once the handle is straightened out, pull the end of the strap until the strap is completely unwound, and the slot in the ratchet in line with the now straight out handle.  I even had to show my Scientist friends how to release them.  They used them for tying down equipment in a C141 with a hole in the side of the fuselage for a telescope to be able to see out.  It was comical watching them try to release the straps.

The 27' ones are for tying down loads of hay, or straw.

IMG_2556.JPG