Dust Bag question

Hello,

How long does a dust bag remain effective. I have a 1 micron bag bought about 8 years ago which I shake and bang from time to time to release any clogging inside but does it become less and less effective over time at trapping fine dust? Can they be put in the washer?

Thank you for any help with my question.

Tom

I've also read that it isn't supposed to be good to wash them. Like Sac, I can't remember where...maybe FWW's newsletter or somewhere. Not sure. The way I see it, the fine dust particles trapped in the bag can only help instead of hurt. Think of filling a coffee cup with rocks (the fine dust). Fill it so full that no more rocks will fit in. Then put sand in the cup. To me, it's the same principle in the DC bag. If dust is taking up room, it stands to reason that only smaller particles can fit through it. No harm, just a better filtration. But that's just my logic. I'm not saying it will make a 5 micron bag into a 1 micron bag. Just saying it can't hurt.

Beat your bag till the dust stops comming out then put it back on and keep using it.

I hate to add to the "I read it somewhere I forget where" thread, but I read somewhere that filters (or most filters, or some filters) have a complicated curve of efficiency vs use. At the beginning, they let more stuff through until the dust fills up the bigger holes. So their filtering "granularity" gets better as time goes by, but their resistance to air flow gets worse as they get clogged. The trick is to find the sweet spot, not so clean that they let big stuff through, and not so clogged that it hurts your system performance. That may be why some people say that you should bang out or blow out filters, but no wash them.

I have Penn State 1 micron bag filters that are at least 8 years old. About every other time emptying the lower bag, I flip it inside out and beat it rigorously. I always empty it outside with a dust mask on, so this is of course weather permitting. It doesn't get rid of the layer of dust trapped within the filter material, but it does a pretty good job of clearing it. I've never done this to the upper bag, guess I should get on that....

Tim