Using a 1/2” Flush Trim Bit on a 2” thick workpiece?

Fairchild

Hey everyone. I’m wondering if I can use a 1/2” long flush trim bit on a 2” thick workpiece. It seems that the bearing could ride along my template and trim the top 1/2” of the workpiece, and then I could lower the bit in my router table and have the bearing use the freshly trimmed workpiece as a guide for the bearing. It seems like I should be able to flush trim the entire workpiece this way, in multiple passes. Is this recommended, or is there a reason that I shouldn’t do it this way? I’m pretty new to woodworking and I don’t have a lot of money, so I’m really trying to avoid buying a longer bit unless I really have to, just to save money. 

Thanks!

That is a technique i use frequently. I'll make a pass transferring the template to the work piece and then remove the template to get some added depth after establishing the first cut.

It will require some sanding to make things perfect but if you have good bits it will come out really close.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fairchild said:

Thanks everyone! Worked like a charm. Although I did get a bit nervous about how far I had to extend the bit out of the collet, as wtnhighlander mentioned. Is there a rule of thumb for how far out it should extend?

Yes. The shank should be into the collet at least ⅔ of the length of the collet. That doesn’t usually give you much play, but if you pull it out too far you’ll spring the collet when you tighten it down. Once it’s sprung, it will never hold properly again. 

• Like 2