6 or 8

sj2494

The 8" is a more massive, more capable machine, probably with a bigger motor too. Parallelogram or not - I say parallelogram, but there are devotees to both camps. I like the motion and adjustments of the parallelogram bed. It is super quick to adjust the infeed table from 1/16"-1/2" and just as easy to precicely set the outfeed table. Have a look at the fence system too. Rack and pinion fences take up a lot of room behind the jointer.

The 8inch parallelogram.

It is mostly in the set up time for me. If you are a patient person you can spend the time setting up a standard jointer. I always end up frustrated and throwing stuff. How often are you going to need to do that, maybe once a year.

parallelogram tune up - hour

standard tune up - 1/2 day and blood pressure issues

I recently upgraded to an 8" jointer from my 6" model (full disclosure - Highland Woodworking sent it to me as payment for 6 months worth of sponsorship). I was happy with the 6" model although there were times I dreamed of 8".

After just one project with the 8" model, I can't imagine my life before it. So regardless of which model, just a plain old fashioned 8" model seems much more worth the dollars vs a 6" with cooler features.

Of course I do miss some of the floor space I lost, but I'll get over it.

I agree, if you have the power and room, an 8" is more versatile. I've had a few instances where my 6" wasn't wide enough but power and space constraints keep me from going higher. If I had the room and power, it'd be a no brainer...

-Jim

8". Can't say I've heard of anyone wanting to downgrade from an 8" to 6" beacuse it was too big.

Started with a 6", then upgraded to an 8" parallelogram.

Funny you say that, because when I was selling my old 6" jointer the buyer ACTUALLY did say that (chortle)! He had recently downgraded his shop and realized his 8" jointer was just too big for what he planned on doing so the 6" jointer was what he was looking for to take it's place.

That just struck me funny when you mentioned it. What are the chances?