Executive Desk - Routing the profile on desk top

TomD

Hello

I am rounding the corner on my executive desk build and I am currently "Paused" at the stage of routing the profile on the top edge of desk top.  The bit I purchased, based on Marc's recommendation is a 2.5" diameter table edge bit.  I have several routers but not the size of the OF2200 that Marc used and I am now considering all of the many ways that this can go horribly wrong with my OF1400 or Bosch 1617 routers if I am to attempt it.  First off the diameter of the bit is larger than the baseplate - this was my first clue that something is wrong with what I am trying to do.  Of course I know I need to slow down the speed of the bit nearly to the #1 setting but even with that I am having doubts about spinning something that big in a handheld machine cutting into 5/4 cherry.   Has anyone completed this build and can you offer any insight into how you routed the profile.  I am leaning more now twords just doing a simple round over on top and bottom to stay safe - but if im being honest I am not sure I will really love that look - but I guess I would like that better than loosing a finger or worse trying to make the original design.  I guess I could also buy a bigger router but that is not really in the cards right now moneywise as I would want the OF2200.

TomD

Might have to do some trials but I'd relieve some of the material with a smaller bit and then use the larger bit for the final pass. If it's possible to do the operation on a router table you could set the fence to make multiple passes to ease the strain on the router. A chamfer bit or round over bit would go a long way to relieve a lot of material that would strain the router. If you don't have a bit that would fit to relieve some material you could always use a hand plane.

3rd option would be to step down the depth of cut in 3 steps, this could also be done in conjunction with the above relieving material advice.

I don't think you need to get the OF2200. I've ran raised profile bits with my PC890 (which is a 2.5 hp router or 1400 watts, this is the same as the OF1400 & 1617). If you don't need the 2200, that's a lot of dough to drop for a 1 time use.

For the base plate issue. I've created my own base plate from plywood before. Just mark the hole pattern from the stock one and mount the plywood one that has a bigger hole. Make sure to note that there is usually a centering process to make sure the base plate hole is centered to the collet on the router. This won't matter for the plywood temporary base but will matter if you put the stock plate back on and use template bushings.

On 7/29/2021 at 7:46 AM, TomD said:

Marc's recommendation is a 2.5" diameter table edge bit.

I was just searching for a large diameter bit I need for a project mine will be used in the router table, but in my search I noticed a lot of the companies had warnings on bits that were around 2.5" or above that stated not to use in hand held routers.

That being said if I was in your position I would probably buy the OF2200, finish up the project then sell the router.  You would probably recover enough of the original cost to justify the "Rental Price" you paid for the OF2200.

First know that routers can be the most dangerous hand power tools in the shop. As mentioned, the smart way to use a big bit on an underpowered tool is several setups a little bit at a time. Clamp a piece of wood to a table or bench and test all of your set ups.