Leigh Super 18 Unburied

gee-dub

Not dull but it gave up during the process, twice. It released and elevated up during the pass. I could hear a distinct change. This happened twice with the same bit. I went to Rockler and bought a new bit and haven’t had the problem since. I believe it was a 1/4” straight cutting bit for a groove in a drawer side. 

• Like 1

I have had good luck with Whiteside collet adapters.  Purely unscientific but, I have had bits slip but, never in a Whiteside adapter.  In the spirit of questionable science I tossed the others since a failure of that type costs more than a good adapter :).  A proper sized collet would be the best solution in my book but at $42 for one for each of my routers I'll ride the adapter train a little longer.  I have 1/2" and 1/4" collets for many of my routers but currently have little preference as to whether I change the collet or just drop in an adapter. Long periods without failure breeds confidence . . . hopefully not unwarranted :o.  I'll be the first to share if things go sideways.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:04 PM, Coop said:

I just put on my Santa list, one of those tables, 46” with two drawers. 

I worked out what it would cost in materials to make one as well thought out.  I make a lot of my own fixtures but for this function, the price was way reasonable.  I bet you will be happy with it.

On 12/10/2021 at 6:05 AM, Mark J said:

Do you find the jig is a little high when mounted on the table?  Or is the table "up" in the pictures?

The table adjusts :).  I find working with the jig so that my forearms are just a bit higher than parallel to the floor works well.  You need to see the fingers every now and then to stay on track.  I shoot for operator comfort first and just tilt my head a bit at the beginning and/or end of an operation to confirm my position.  I've only cut a dozen ends on the thing so far so time and experience may change my approach.

Pat Warner had a tall I-beam "bench" that put his router at about head height.  I can see why he did this but, have never done it.  I do find myself squatting or sitting for some operations which mimics this relationship between operator and routed work.  The jig work is a different animal since I find myself looking at the jig fingers more than the work itself.  Kind of like how you don't need to watch the tablesaw blade; it is the fence, gauge or other reference surface that is really important.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, wtnhighlander said:

That visibility angle relationship brings up a question for me. Do those of you that wear bi-focals or reading glasses (like me) find it necessary to take extra steps to get good visibility at awkward angles? 

Here as well.  I have a pair of over-under cheepie safety glasses I dig out if I am going to be looking up for long periods.  They come in basic powers like "cheaters".  Clear in the middle and powered above and below.  Not good for long term but, will get you through an under-the-counter job.  They make "real ones" too but they cost a bit more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...