Cordless Chainsaw II

Mark J

A couple of years ago a started a thread on cordless chainsaws.  As things seem to evolve quickly I thought I'd revisit this, but with a new thread.  This was the old one.

I saw these videos on another site, and it seems their capabilities are improving. 

I'm currious what people think.  One particular question, are plastic felling spikes a deal breaker?

My chainsaw has always been cordless...except for the one I yank on to start it!

Seriously, though, battery powered saws, especially if they have brushless motors, most likely have some form of torque limiter built in to the drive controls. That should make the spikes unnecessary. Really no reason they shouldn't include an accelerometer to indicate kickback, and drive control to minimize that reaction or at least stop cutting.

• Like 1

I have a 16" corded Makita, but my family all swear by its 12" 36v sibling. One of them has a surveying business, and the little cordless saw is the primary bushwhacking tool. Stands up to the abuse of young workers with aplomb. He also uses it for small felling and likbing jovs around his property.

I haven't tried felling with an electric saw but it'd be interesting, i want to try it some day.

I dropped a 22" ash last fall with my MS170 and a 16" bar. I wonder how well a battery or even plug in electric would fare on the same operation. The little 170 is by no means a power monster.