Harvey Alpha 15” Bandsaw HW615P

JohnG

Yikes, glad you were okay and the saw wasn’t ruined!

I should have mentioned that before unbolting the bandsaw from the mini pallet, I again used my tractor to lift it up, moved the pallets out from under it, then placed it down. I was able to place the dolly such that as I tipped the bandsaw to the balance point, the dolly wheels were on the ground so there were no sudden shifts or jolts.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:54 AM, justaguy said:

An example of going south.

While living in WA, I got my Laguna HD 18 dropped off in my shop/detached garage while I was at work.  Nice driver and great wife.  Anyways, the saw was on top of two pallets, like yours.  The angel on my left shoulder said wait until you have help.  The devil on my right shoulder said you have waited long enough, get it down and setup.  The devil won. I started walking the bandsaw off the double pallet stack when the upper pallet collapsed, which immediately transferred all the weight to me - which I was not ready for.  I tried valiantly to stabilize things, but gravity was clearly winning.  There was no way I was letting go of the bandsaw, and the next thing I knew I was laying on my back with the saw on top of me.  First thing I did was take inventory of my body parts.  Nothing was hurting terribly so I knew nothing was broken.  Abdomen was not tender, so probably no internal bleeding.  After the inventory of my body parts, I realized I might have a problem.  The bandsaw, which weighed 550 lbs, had me pinned to the floor.  The top of the saw was just under my chin level and covered my abdomen and all of my right leg, and most of my left leg.  I tried getting out from under the saw, but no progress.  Then I realized that my wife has strict instructions about leaving me alone in the shop, so there would be no one to come and check how things were going.  After a short period of panic, I was able to to extract myself from under the bandsaw.  Took inventory of the saw and found a couple of small things broken.  I called Lagunas CS, told them exactly what had happened.  When they stopped laughing, they sent out the parts free of charge.  I inquired as to how they were able to do that, they said they had authorization to cover things damaged in shipment.  After I stopped laughing, I thanked them.

Got the saw up and running.  Shortly after, it retaliated by trying to take part of my right thumb as I was doing something stupid.  We have now been together for 3 years, and I love that saw.

Great story and excellent ending.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 9:24 AM, Mark J said:

How is the table for flat and does the workpiece cross the blade change slot smoothly?

Good question. Mine is very good. It’s a large table, 20x20. 

The blade change slot is a hair higher on the infeed side. Feeding will not snag. Checking with a metal ruler with sharp corners, you can feel the slot coming back toward the infeed side but it does not snag. The throat plate has adjusting screws so no issue there either.

I have two 24” machined straight edges (woodriver and groz) that I checked it with in several places and directions. The only place I can get the corner of a sheet of paper under the straight edges is in the front right corner, due to the slightly higher edge of the blade change slot acting as a fulcrum. I can’t fit two sheets under it. If I put the straight edge only on the infeed side or only on the outfeed side, the paper won’t go under.

If I can dig up my feeler gauges I’ll try to measure it, but I don’t think it’s enough to cause any noticeable error for any woodworking application.

D7A1EA82-9463-42BB-A4A1-F651390CE305.thumb.jpeg.fc39f132aee849c3c0f9579397e92618.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I know this is an older post but thought it might get picked up.

John, you have had your saw for almost a year, would you buy it again? Issues or victories? 

I’ve had a small Grizzly saw for about 2 years, a learner saw as it were. Overall, for the price it is okay but the fence, top wheel adjustment and the fact that even after bands and wheel changes, it still shakes more than I like. This leaves me wary of dropping $3000 on another one of their saws even though the support, overall has been okay.

I don’t like the yo-yo pricing on the Harvey’s but that would not stop me from buying one and they seem to be, for the most part, well designed. There is just not a good history in the US.

Rikon’s just seem to be more flash than substance with some appearing to have major design issues.

Laguna appears to be a crap shoot. If you get a good one, it’s wonderful, if not, a total headache. The trunnion supports also appear to be problematic. Also, I’m looking at the 18BX, they are nowhere to be found.