Bandsaw base cabinet

legenddc

Has anyone ever made a new base cabinet for a bandsaw? I have one of the older one with the motor behind the machine running it via a belt. The metal base creates a lot of wasted space and anything I put there gets covered in dust.

I'm wondering if I couldn't create a plywood cabinet and keep the motor where it is or even put it under the saw and shrink the footprint some. I was looking at the one @gee-dub made but he just has a 10" bandsaw on top and doesn't have to deal with the motor.

D9FD5EC4-B71D-49A2-82EA-39FE84795310.thumb.jpeg.e5c33feb6d61a80e3a8fc6c896988cec.jpeg

How else was he going to keep things from floating away? Had to hold them down somehow...

Thank you for sharing this. My main concern is the motor and figuring out a way to tension it but I believe you solved them.

I'll have to think if I want the drawers facing the operator or the front. Honestly just cutting down on the places for dust to get trapped will be a win. If I can make some usable storage for bandsaw related accessories I'll be happy. Won't be for a while but just wanted to get some good ideas flowing.

What's with the conduit on the front and back? The front looks like the on/off switch but the back has me stumped.

• Like 1

The struggle of pulling the motor out with a big pry bar or 2x4 while also tightening a nut/bolt is very difficult. One of these days once a few other projects are done and it's nice weather I'm going to rent/borrow a truck and go buy a ton of plywood to make this, some tool storage cabinets for my storage room and maybe even cabinet for my workbench if it's larger than the hybrid workbench.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I may add a word or two of caution. You mentioned the possibility of reducing the foot print. Be aware that band saws tend to be top heavy. I would not reduce the foot print more than it already is. Putting the motor under the saw will help with this, but it will eat up storage space if that is what you are looking for.

If storage space protected from dust is your objective, an easy way to do that is to just cover the sides of what you have with 1/4" plywood or similar.

• Like 2