Fire Nearby

gee-dub

Had a nice view from the front porch last night.

20220428-Fire.thumb.jpg.074fb04d45f2c5d750cb29e2e5c16ae7.jpg

We're between two state reserve areas.  The fire line is about 1/2 mile from my front door.  It came up the back side of this ridge from a pallet yard about 2 miles from us.  They had it controlled in a just a few hours but the pallet yard and some nearby utilities are toast.  The reserve areas are well maintained as far as fire breaks go. 

The foothills that we are in are at about 1100 ft elevation so relative to the area, desert hills.  They all carry a nice even layer of scrub this time of year which doesn't burn intensely in its own right but acts as a speedy transmission highway for fire from place to place.  We have a nearby mountain range at about 4500 ft where folks can ski. 

Baldy.thumb.jpg.b8c7b2ed4ff5862c4c31e45ff3f2e1d6.jpg

Not so down here.

Here's the Karen fire in 2020 that ran along the reserve hills on the opposite side of us viewed from my back yard .

IMG_1559.thumb.JPG.2e3dc109c1db3e139607bcd22d2751ea.JPG

Like hurricanes in other parts of the country it is not an "if" question, it is a "when" question during the season.  At least they are easier to predict than earthquakes :).  Here's the corker; we're not classified as a fire zone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Be glad you aren't classified as a fire zone. They reclassified my area as a fire zone and my insurance company cancelled us. I had to hunt all over the place and finally found it at triple the old rate.

Glad to hear you are ok.

• Sad 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:00 PM, Robby W said:

Be glad you aren't classified as a fire zone. They reclassified my area as a fire zone and my insurance company cancelled us. I had to hunt all over the place and finally found it at triple the old rate.

We purchase flood insurance thru The National Flood Insurance Program managed by FEMA. Being in a flood zone increases our rates but they can’t cancel it. Do y’all not have something similar for fire insurance? 

• Thanks 1