Removing rust on old plane

Robby W

I know I can use Coca-Cola or vinegar to do this, but I was wondering if I can use Evap-o-Rust to remove the light to medium rust on a number 5 1/2 Bailey I have. Does it leave any kind of coating behind like phosphoric acid based derusting agents do? I'm too impatient to wait days for it and don't have a container long enough, although I suppose one of those disposable wallpaper trays would work.

Some years back Tom Cancelleri, a past member here,  bought a large bandsaw that looked like the cast iron table had been stored in the ocean.  It had some serious rust that he used Evap-o-Rust on and I don't recall him complaining of a film or coating being left behind.  The top looked remarkable when he was done cleaning it.  

• Thanks 1

Hi, @woodworking_hobby. Yes, Evap-o-Rust is a rust remover. Supposed to be one of the best. I thought about the cleaning pad, but I am hoping to keep the black Japaning on the plane. Plus, I'm lazy...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

There are two different brand names that work about the same.  One is EvapORust, but I forget the other.  Here, Advance Auto Parts sells one, and Autozone the other, cheaper than it can be ordered online.  Those stores are side by side here.  If one doesn't have theirs in stock, I just go next door, and buy the other one.  I use it on a fair amount of old house hardware.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, Tom King said:

There are two different brand names that work about the same.  One is EvapORust, but I forget the other.  Here, Advance Auto Parts sells one, and Autozone the other, cheaper than it can be ordered online.  Those stores are side by side here.  If one doesn't have theirs in stock, I just go next door, and buy the other one.  I use it on a fair amount of old house hardware.

I think I've seen a product called Metal Rescue at Autozone - that might be it.

• Like 2