Wooden and Aluminum Faux Race Car

joe mendel

Do they have sponsors on that racing circuit?  I was thinking the only thing it needs is more room for sponsors stickers.  We were in a Pro sailboat racing circuit that was shown on ESPN in the late '80's.  The circuit ended after four years, but if it had gone on another year, we were going to be the OP, SnapOn tools team, and would have been doing it for a living.

On 7/28/2022 at 8:47 PM, wtnhighlander said:

That's cool, Joe!  I used to enjoy a bit of simulated Nascar, but never had a rig as nice as that!

We have been doing NASCAR sims for decades.  This is an old first generation Pentium running the original NASCAR game.

Untitled-3.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 9:23 PM, Tom King said:

Do they have sponsors on that racing circuit?  I was thinking the only thing it needs is more room for sponsors stickers.  We were in a Pro sailboat racing circuit that was shown on ESPN in the late '80's.  The circuit ended after four years, but if it had gone on another year, we were going to be the OP, SnapOn tools team, and would have been doing it for a living.

Yes, there are sponsors in the eSports world of sim racing, cash to be won as well.  In the past I have been paid as a software beta tester, a consultant for a company that made very high tech steering wheel/pedal units, and a VR prescription eye wear developer.

I use to watch those boats races all the time.

Wow, that's impressive. I have an autistic grandson who is a car nut, but will never be able to get a license. He is amazing at driving games though. We've let him drive a bit in deserted parking lots and some roads and he just got in the driver's seat and drove. Turning, braking, parking, backing up; no problem. He picked it up way faster than any neuro-typical kid I've ever seen.

I've been thinking of making him some sort of driving simulator, but not quite as sophisticated as yours, Joe. Do you have any suggestions as to where to get ideas about construction of such a beast?

On 7/29/2022 at 10:19 AM, drzaius said:

Wow, that's impressive. I have an autistic grandson who is a car nut, but will never be able to get a license. He is amazing at driving games though. We've let him drive a bit in deserted parking lots and some roads and he just got in the driver's seat and drove. Turning, braking, parking, backing up; no problem. He picked it up way faster than any neuro-typical kid I've ever seen.

I've been thinking of making him some sort of driving simulator, but not quite as sophisticated as yours, Joe. Do you have any suggestions as to where to get ideas about construction of such a beast?

https://opensimracing.com/collections/plans

There was a time when I taught kindergarten, and I was amazed at the things which would tap into the minds of special needs kids.

Open Sim Racing will give you some ideas on building a wooden sim rig.