New lumber source

Ronn W

Through the MInnesota Wood workers guild I heard about a new lumber source that is just now opening.  I stopped up today, got a tour and heard about his plans.  Sean Kaysen is the owner.  Right now he has mostly slabs on display but has plans to offer rough saw and dimensioned mostly domestic hardwoods once things get moving.  He is also setting up a custom furniture shop.  He mills and dries is own lumber. 

North Wind Lumber

1505 Central Ave NE
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55413

Open 7 days a week

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 7:53 PM, pkinneb said:

oh and no offense to anyone on the forum but I really wish this slab phase would pass so that we could all go back to rough sawn lumber :)

I too am not a big fan of slabs but  I’m not so sure that slabs are an influence on the availability of rough sawn lumber. One of my suppliers, the closest and most expensive, has ramped up his supply of slabs. Based on the asking price, I would say his inventory of slabs is probably 5% of his stock and it’s a sizable place. 2-3 years ago I would see 8-10 slabs in one of his warehouses. Now he probably has 50-60. Based on the asking price of the slabs, it’s obviously a profitable niche for them. However, based on the size and configuration of the slabs, I doubt that too many bf of usable lumber could be obtained from them. 

• Like 2

Ronn, do you know who does all his sawing? There is a guy in Cambridge that has a sawmill...just to produce lumber for woodworkers. He does mostly slabs, but I think he'll saw lumber for individuals, too.

I've been lucky, I've used a guy in Isanti for the last 4 years, and he cuts the lumber exactly how I want it. I'm pretty sure I have a lifetime supply of walnut, white oak, and red oak stickered, stacked, and drying. Well...dry.

But, I still want to cut up one more big white oak off of Dad's farm. Just in case...lol

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, roughsawn said:

Ronn, do you know who does all his sawing? There is a guy in Cambridge that has a sawmill...just to produce lumber for woodworkers. He does mostly slabs, but I think he'll saw lumber for individuals, too.

He told me that he sources, saws, dries and mills his own lumber.  I did not get any more detail than that.

I saw his postings on craig's list and was tempted to swing by. I just don't need any lumber at the moment.

For me price and quality are important. Sawing and drying the material himself gives me some pause until it's been proven he knows what he's doing.

Renneberg in St Cloud does a lot of their own sawing and drying (for local species), i love that their walnut isn't steamed. I buy from them because i can buy wholesale and get wholesale prices, they are not for the average woodworker that wants to pick boards or look at a pile.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 8:46 PM, roughsawn said:

He must have a bandsaw mill set up someplace else. Then hauls lumber to his store.

He is in and old factory that made millwork for years and years.  Doesn't really look like a store but then he has only just started improving the space.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

@Ronn W

Are you familiar with Logs To Lumber?

Local guy, now in Hastings. One man shop. 

He's quite a character too but has given me good deals a few times. 

I haven't been to his new setup in Hastings, he used to run it out of his house and every room was stacked floor to ceiling with various hardwoods. Anyway, check him out sometime. 

Logstolumber.com

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 3:05 PM, D W C said:

@Ronn W

Are you familiar with Logs To Lumber?

Local guy, now in Hastings. One man shop. 

He's quite a character too but has given me good deals a few times. 

I haven't been to his new setup in Hastings, he used to run it out of his house and every room was stacked floor to ceiling with various hardwoods. Anyway, check him out sometime. 

Logstolumber.com

"Quite the character" boy that's the understatement of the week :) 

I have bought quite a bit from Brian over the years as well and he typically has good lumber I too need to make a road trip and check out his new location. I found when the slab fad came out he kind of went in that direction and it was harder to get dimensional lumber from him.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 12:27 PM, pkinneb said:

FWIW if your located in the Twin Cites my last couple of projects including the current shavehorse build came from Nate at https://www.iversonhardwoods.com/ 

Still missing Youngblood's but at least it appears we are getting a few more options.

WTH! how long have you been holding off on this source! I swear he posts on CL and I've been meaning to reach out to him now i know it's a business I'm sending him an email now. I want to try and get some paulownia.

I don't want to case a bad name on any one that doesn't deserve it, but there is a one man mill that operates somewhere in MSP that has burned a lot of people the wrong way. He approaches people that want a tree removed, offers to pay the removal cost to a tree service if he gets to keep the trunk. After he has the lumber he ghosts the tree services and doesn't pay the bill. This usually ends up with the service eating it or the home owner getting hit with the bill and fees on top. So if you find a source in MSP that seems shady maybe walk away.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped in to Iverson/s for the first time today.  Small operation ( he needs more space). Good quality wood most is S2S (various grades) at good prices.  All domestic including ash.  Wish he had mahogany. Next time I need domestic lumber I will go there.

• Like 2