Dust collection

CJC5151

I am in the process of "going pro". Im really fixated on efficiancy. The times of dragging the small 1hp collector around is over. My question is how big do I need to go. I have 3200 sq ft. 1100ish power tool area. I want to duct all the standbys individually (planer, jointer, ts, bs, widebelt) and i would like to have a couple other hookups for misc. stuff (sanders, sweep gate). I intend to use blast gates to help me out and would never have more then 2 machines running at once. I guess im asking your opinion on the most cost effective, durable, efficient machine for my space.lol

Thanks guys ill sit back and wait.

CJ

I have a 1500 sq ft. workspace. I decided to minimize the ductwork and use multiple dust collectors. I have one for the sanding area, one for the planer/jointer area and one for the sawing area. My experience using one large dust collector taught me the impact of long runs and multiple elbows on collector effectiveness and efficiency.

Pete

If you want to do one collector, you will probably want to go with one BIG cyclone or bag unit. The size of the area will depict the size of the DC you will need. You might be able to get away with a 3.5HP, or you may have to go with as big as a 5HP. One collector would be nice because it would be one bin to empty vs. several.

I have two DCs; the larger one handles everything but the bandsaw. The bandsaw is on the other side of the shop. I opted for a second smaller DC for over there. Since bandsaw dust is pretty fine, it takes a long time to fill the bag. It also greatly helped my decision when I spotted the DC already assembled, brand new at Lowes clearance marked... $49 :) Not bad for a Delta 1 hp DC with 1 micron filter bag

A hepa filter is better than a regular filter, but for keeping the fine dust out of your lungs, nothing beats running the air through a cyclone or Thien separator, and then blowing it outdoors. The idea is that even the best filter lets some fine dust through. Diluting it by mixing it with all the rest of the air on the planet is safer than trapping it in a room with your lungs. The drawbacks are:

• If you are heating or cooling the shop air, then you're blowing that conditioned air away.
  • Your neighbors, neighborhood, zoning, or code might not let you (but, maybe filter the air first?)
  • If you are sharing your shop with anything burning (furnace, hot water heater, propane heater, etc), then you need to make sure that you are not sucking air down the chimney.

Pete, I'm glad you mentioned that. I've got a long and narrow shop with low ceilings, and I kept coming back to the idea of using multiple smaller dust collectors with short runs, rather than one big honking dust collector. I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy.

HEY NOW!!! Hold on just a sec. NO ONE said you weren't crazy!! :D