Hard Maple Root Ball Figure

roughsawn

I have access to a root ball from a hard maple, that has a 25" diameter trunk at the base. Actually, I'm getting 5 sections of the tree, also. But...my question is this:

We all know a black walnut root ball has fantastic figure properties, and is highly sought after if you can find one. Does a hard maple root ball have the same qualities? If this is something worth going after...I have free access to it. It will be "big"!

Also, what style of woodworking would be most likely to utilize the "burl" qualities from a maple root ball?

And lastly, what dimensions or size would I slab it...or saw it into to be best utilized for various wood working projects?

I know turners like them for bowls, and custom knife makers like it for handle scales. Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with it.

If I knew for sure what a few practical uses would be, that would help me figure out how to handle the root ball after it is out of the ground. I know one thing for sure...I'm not going to let it go to waste...lol

On 9/4/2022 at 8:17 AM, Mark J said:

I've heard of woodturners using blanks cut from root balls.  I've also heard that they can have surprise inclusions such as stones and such.  

+1 to this.  This can make a turner some very high end pieces if done correct.  I've acquired a few root balls from fallen farm trees in the neighborhood.  Just waiting on a project to use them on.  

• Like 1