New miter sparking on trigger release

GRVY

have been into small woodworking for a bit, coasters/inlays/signs/boxes etc. I started taking interest in some bigger projects so I have been getting some new equipment. Bought a 12inch metabo hpt sliding compound miter saw. Had a good price and reviews are decent. I got it all set up and adjusted. I noticed that the I am getting a decent blue arc in the motor when I release the trigger and end the cut. Saw has an electric brake.  I know brushes can spark but does this look excessive? Hoping it is normal so I don’t have to return it. The motor on previous saws have been on the right and I’m right handed so tend to stand just to the left of the machine and never noticed before. Sorry for what could be a dumb question. Here is a link.

https://imgur.com/a/tp77jEB

https://imgur.com/a/WeH3lsp

What you show looks like what I would expect from a brushed universal motor with dynamic braking applied. The sudden reversal of current would cause flashover at the brushes, which is very hard on the commutator. A quick search for metabo brake technology only yielded results for grinders with disc (mechanical) brakes.

I think your saw has a problem. I suggest a call to Metabo tech support.

On 1/4/2023 at 9:40 PM, wtnhighlander said:

What you show looks like what I would expect from a brushed universal motor wotg dynamic braking applied. The sudden reversal of current would cause flashover at the brushes, which is very hard on the commutator. A quick search for metabo brake technology only yielded results fir grinders with disc (mechanical) brakes.

I think your saw has a problem. I suggest a call to Metabo tech support.

Saw has an electrical brake from what i read. 

• Chet changed the title to New miter sparking on trigger release

Find your receipt.  Hold the trigger and let it run for 30 seconds.  Do that a couple of times, and see if there is any change when you release the trigger.  If there is no change in the amount of sparking, I'd exchange it. 

Such a brake uses the brushes.  To revive a brake that's a little sluggish, the cure is this if there is one.